Boat ramp extension

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowgrn4

Reaction score
Waters is right at the bottom edge of my private concrete ramp at my lake place with the drought. I never power on so the sand bottom at the end of the ramp is a perfect matching grade as the ramp. Minus the 5" concrete thickness at the end. I want to add around 4'-5' of additional ramp on the white sand bottom.

I'm thinking of the following. Lay down a 6'-10' section of heavy duty galvanized chain link fence at existing edge of ramp. Place 24 bags of Sakcrete in brick pattern Five across at ramp edge, then six across, then five across and six across at bottom. Anchor each bag and the fence below it by driving two 4' re-bar stakes to a depth flush with the top of each bag for a total of 48 stakes to anchor the whole mess as a unit. 18' Jon boat, motor, gear and trailer weigh only around 1,500 lbs.

Questions; How long will the chain link fence and re-bar last submerged in spring fed super clean fresh water?

Any Ideas? Think it will work?

personally, I would drive the rebar at least 2-4" below the surface
of the bags - - - just in case the whole mess sinks down and some
of the rebar gets exposed - thus leaving spikes in your ramp. (not good).
Once the rebar starts to rust - it sort of cements itself into the dirt.
have no idea as to how long the fence would last under water.
but, am sure it will outlast you..... LOL just not something that comes to mind.
This would be interesting to see photos of your project !!!!

check this out: https://www.galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/how-long-does-hdg-last/in-water

Johnny said:
personally, I would drive the rebar at least 2-4" below the surface
of the bags - - - just in case the whole mess sinks down and some
of the rebar gets exposed - thus leaving spikes in your ramp. (not good).
Once the rebar starts to rust - it sort of cements itself into the dirt.
have no idea as to how long the fence would last under water.
but, am sure it will outlast you..... LOL just not something that comes to mind.
This would be interesting to see photos of your project !!!!

check this out: https://www.galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/how-long-does-hdg-last/in-water

"but, am sure it will outlast you" :mrgreen: No doubt, 65 this year. :shock:

I read that article too during my research. So many variables.

I figure I can do it for around $300 tops in materials so I'm gonna give it a try right after I finish the 8'-10' lawn equipment enclosure I'm doing up there right now.

Do me a small favor if you will, Pray for rain!

oh man - this is BAD !!
gator mating season is in June and low water levels
coupled with high testosterone will be a nightmare.
gators in every place you don't want to see them.
swimming pools, garages, under your house, under your car, crossing the road,
not to mention the pythons and cobras on the loose too !!!

I used to work as a diver in Lake Michigan. We used old chain link fence all the time underwater to reinforce gabion walls. It will last for decades. You don't need to worry very much about weighting it down with concrete. Just bend some rebar into a 24" long U shape and drive them in about every 3 feet. Remember that the weight pressing on the chain link will be very minimal as the boat floats off... I wouldn't think you'd need anything more than chain link fence and those big staples.... If you wanted to help insure the chain link doesn't sink into a soft bottom we used to put Typar cloth underneath it... like they sell for landscaping. That keeps it from sinking very well. A double layer of chain link fencing will also improve the stiffness and durability.

Some great input here.

I sure like the "Just bend some rebar into a 24" long U shape and drive them in" comment. The --U-- shape top of the rebar deals well with Johnny's concern about the rebar being exposed as time goes on.

richg99

Latest posts