Would you buy a boat used in saltwater

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Two-foot-itis is working on me. Eyeballing a decent looking alum 1989 16 ft v hull jon on the coast which looks fine in the pics but still ... salt water.

For the last 35 years all of my boats have been in both salt and fresh water all year long. Now, I won't tell you that some boats have not had corrosion problems.... but that is because they were rigged out for fresh water only. Even then, it is usually the cleats and some fittings.

I've used Black freshwater trolling motors and the only thing that had to be replaced were some mounting bolts.

You can visually check everything that is in the open.

I have, on more than one occasion, paid for an engine inspection by a local mechanic before the purchase of a used boat. If the seller won't allow it, find another seller.

I've owned over 25 boats, both fiberglass and tinnies.

richg99

25 is a lot of boats! i just texted the seller to see if he still has it. I've been worrying the poor guy for a couple of months now.

I don't really need a 16 ft since I usually fish by myself but it'd be nice to have more room and it would probably be a little more stable. And it needs the kind of upgrades I like to do when it's too hot to fish. The other day I also noticed my 14 ft won't have enough room to lay down even after I put an aisle in the middle bench. (I still think I'm 30 yrs old and sleeping on my boat at nights on Buggs Island. I'm not and I never will again)

So if salt water has affected the skin of a boat I could tell from pics? There is an odd looking spot inside the transom but otherwise the paint looks good.

If there were serious corrosion, I doubt that the seller would take close-up pictures of it for you. I'd call the seller and ask outright..."does the boat have any corrosion issues?"...and the best one ..."is there anything wrong with the boat that you haven't told me about?"

As a local guide says often, "you never know until you go".

I don't know how far away your seller is, and.... I am concerned that his boat is still up for sale for a long time.

I've driven from Houston to Jacksonville Fl. to buy a boat one time. I came home with that one. No mechanic, but a very good "sea trial".

I've also driven 7 or 8 hours round trip to San Antonio for a boat that I didn't buy.

richg99

It's four hours away and he seems forthright about everything. I've asked a lot of questions already. "What will I find out about it later" is one of my favorite questions. If I wind up with it I'll trade away the motor for sure. Wonder if new paint would help even though it looks fine.

WaterBouy asked: So if salt water has affected the skin of a boat I could tell from pics?
answer: no - you can not.

I recently purchased a 1959 Lone Star and drove 3 hours to go get it.
the seller wanted $500 - after a bit of haggling, I got it for $200 - with title. no trailer or motor.
a month into the refurbishment, I discovered it was a salt water boat.
thinking I only needed to replace a few rivets and it will turn into a quick remodel.
sadly to say, when I started with the rivets - I found that ALL the rivets on the port side
had been compromised by salt - they looked sound and secure but when putting a screwdriver
in the seam and applying the least bit of pressure, the rivet would separate in the middle.
leaving the head and tail in tact - frozen in place with salt corrosion . . . . very disappointing.
so I am 99.9% sure the starboard side is in the same condition. Thus it slides way back on my priority list.
so CHECK THE RIVETS !!! ask the seller for HIM (not you) to go around and pry at the seams.
take a rubber mallet with you - ask HIM (not you) to pound on some of the suspect areas.
a 10 hour day to go pick up scrap aluminum is not my idea of a good deal.
this is my first (and last) experience with failed rivets such as this.....
I have been drilling out rivets off and on for months now - and have lost interest in replacing
over 500 of the pesky little raskels.
APPROACH WITH CAUTION !!
open seam 003.JPG
seam 005.JPG
open seam 007.JPG
seam 008.JPG
if you need more information of any concerns - please ask.

I have consulted with DaleH (the other RivetMiester) on this fiasco several times
and he only shakes his head and says he feels my pain. ](*,)

I have some other pics on my LGX but I'm new to "smart" phones.

mw02EZBl.jpg

rJ490Jul.jpg

Av612ail.jpg

Boats around here will sit for months unless it's a certain type and the price is very low. When I sold my garage kept 1605 Lowe it took forever and I had to give it away.

Johnny said:
I have consulted with DaleH (the other RivetMiester) on this fiasco several times
and he only shakes his head and says he feels my pain. ](*,)
OMG and I still shudder when I see those photos :shock: ! Popped/compromised rivets ... ee-ghads that gives me nightmares!

I do use saltwater tins and I, like Johnny, bought one that was more work than initially thought, but luckily I don't have THIS problem. However, whereas I run it in saltwater estuaries running out to the ocean, I did add a high water alarm in the bilge as a safety backup ... just in case a seam splits during a hard run or whilst in seas.

High Water Alarm - ~$60, see https://www.boatstoreusa.com/engine-parts-accessories/engine-gauges/marpac-72303m-high-water-bilge-alarm/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxPbHBRCdxJLF3qen3dYBEiQAMRyxS2HOg4T28YTZCMMupmgP8qT1iKEE52oMAg6y56Ca0ZAaAquo8P8HAQ

Attachments

• High Water Alarm.jpg
    High Water Alarm.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,081
This is a different boat of the same year and model I found on the internets and noticed the middle bench looks like it was modified. I called the dealer who had it but he couldn't remember anything about it.

LtuC3xql.jpg

0KEQQKNl.jpg

Dale, is that in case the bilge konks out?

Bouy - if the price gets to the point of non-negotionable - you could ask the seller
to put about 10-15" of water in the boat (above the rivet line) while it is on the trailer.
or at least a float test in his nearby water....... something that will bolster your confidence
that you are not going to get burned in it. I just don't like surprises.

but basically, it looks to be a good boat (from the photos).

- or - you can do just like the rest of us Old Farts and suffer the "Buyers Remorse" when you get it home.

Putting water in it is a great idea. He said it has 130 compression in both cylinders and the prop was "re-balanced" a year ago, whatever that means. Not really interested in the motor other than as a trade item since I'd up it to a 35 or 40. His new price is about what I could sell my 14 ft for.

Anyone noticed how often sellers will tell you someone is coming to look at it tomorrow?

water bouy said:
Dale, is that in case the bilge konks out?
No, while I have confidence in my choice of pump (Johnson, same as MarPac), switch (field sensing - no moving parts) and the integrity of my wiring ... this is an early warning system in case the pump can't keep up!

From memory, a 2" hole 1' below the waterline will let in ~78-gallons per minute. That is 4680 gallons per hour! Plus, at typical 8.5 pounds per gallon for saltwater, that is 663-POUNDS PER MINUTE being added to the boat ... :shock: holy s#$t that's a ton of weight ... bilge pump or not I sure wouldn't be afloat for long ...

Johnny said:
... you could ask the seller to put about 10-15" of water in the boat (above the rivet line) while it is on the trailer.
Just be aware that isn't a fool-proof test, as water pressure when fully immersed in the water (displacement) is at a much greater pressure than water is when placed inside the hull.

It looks like it's going to happen on Friday and I'm looking forward to it. He's a good dude and his price seems very reasonable. Just hope I can do the whole trip in one day. When I was much younger we would drive 10 or 12 hours to one state or another back when Blue Bell had textile plants all over the south.

There's a few scabs on the galvanized but nothing major. It's like houses I used to rehab, they didn't look so good at first but I could see the potential.

I'll start a thread eventually but you can see it on the rims and the fenders have some. I'm anxious to tear off the deck but my throat has been scratchy since last night which means another freaking cold is here. Only three weeks ago I got over the last one.

I keep looking at this pic thinking that's how it's gonna look, nice and white with an aisle and a floor.

0KEQQKNl.jpg

Took one from the back porch for ya. The garage on the left is so full of stuff I think it bulges and groans. I need to give someone five-dollars if they open the door for me.

kEjRR0Ql.jpg

I don't know what a good deal is anymore. Last year I drove 30 miles to buy an aluminum table and the guy threw in extra planks. I hesitated but I took it anyhow, then sold the extras and wound up with a free 15 ft table, a free boat floor and cash in my pocket.

Latest posts