What screws to bolt down pedestal base, and board on seat? ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezreel

Reaction score
I need to attach the carpeted board to the aluminum seat. What type of screws would you suggest for that.

Also, I need to attach the pedestal base to the carpeted board. The base has reset screw heads. What screws do you suggest for that.

I know my questions are not very descriptive, but hopefully you will understand with these pictures.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 719
If you have access to the area under the metal seat, I would use machine screws with washers and locknuts to attach the carpeted board to the metal seat, and then use flat head screws/washers/locknuts to attach the seat pedestal with these screws going thru both the carpeted board and the metal seat. I would even use some aluminum metal to re-enforce the underside of the metal seat if possible.

If you don't have access to under the metal seat, some self tapping screws will work but probably won't be as strong as the washers and locknut method. I would use SS no matter which route I had to go.

Thanks for the info. Got the screws and I'm ready to work. I wish I had access into the seat so I could put bolts and nuts, but I just hate the thought of cutting into the side of the seat, and digging out the floatation material they sprayed in there.

Since it's a blind hole install, consider well nuts or jack nuts. I've used 'em on a small glass skiff I had, seemed to hold pretty well when I had to "fix" a loose seat mount when I had that hull.

Since you are not going inside the seat it really doesn't matter in this case but if you could it would be best to use fender washers on the underside. They have more surface area than your standard flat washer. It would really be even better to mount a plate under there covering bolt hole to bolt hole.

Latest posts