Turning a bench seat into a walk-through?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I was talking with my dad the other day (who owns 3 boats) about buying a boat (I don't own anything with a motor, just canoes, a kayak, pond row boats, etc.) and he told me hold off doing anything, he is reconsidering his fleet. So it sounds like I may have the opportunity to acquire his 1973 14' Smokercraft. It has a 9.9 Merc with a factory floor and trailer, and is the boat I grew up learning how to fish from. It's a nice boat and well maintained, albeit a little smaller than I think I ideally want...I've been oogling 16 footers. But the price could be right...

If I recall correctly, the boat has 4 bench seats so it has always been a challenge to get to the front from the back. I have seen discussions around removing a seat completely (and the associated benefits/risks) but wonder if anyone has taken the middle 3rd out of a bench seat to make it a walk-through? I would have to take a closer look at how the bench seats do or don't attach to the floor, but as a general question, has anyone reduced a bench seat like this? Was it a welcome modification or more trouble than it was worth? Too much risk to the hull structure to even consider?

I'm guessing there is floatation in the bench. I had half a thought to turn the now smaller seats into storage but that would potentially eliminate an entire bench of floatation, so I will have to research this more and worry about such questions when/if the boat is even mine to modify. So at this point, this is more a thought exercise.

Thanks!

This is how Lund did or does one 18 ft which looks pretty straight forward, extend the bench down to the floor ribs. It's also my plan for a 14 ft v hull jon.

RzenUSjl.jpg

A closer look shows the middle was filled in with a U shape and riveted along the edges.

gOn2yP7h.jpg

It looks like if that boat were to have a floor, the bottom of that "U" would be level with it to have a smooth, continuous floor. It gives me ideas. Thanks for the example!

Yep the floor could be level with the bottom of the U. I'm going to take out the foam and cut it into smaller pieces and stow it under the floor inside 10 gal zip lock bags, dunking the bags in a tub of water till the air is out. You might have to enlarge the pic to see the rivets on the piece they bent into a U. And it's a good idea to have a hinged or removable floor.

Latest posts