Flex Seal for leaky boats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
The property I bought came with a flat bottom Meyers row boat for the pond that had LOTS of pin holes in the hull, as well as other issues. It looks like a tree branch hit the edge right at the chine which has produced a crack. I used JB Weld to plug up a number of leaks to large success but still have a few that escaped me.

Then someone gave me another row boat (unknown brand); more of a planing hull with no floor. No big dents but quite a few leaks at rivets and seams. This boat might be worth investing a little time into.

I'm looking to reduce down to 1 boat; I'm probably going to sell or scrap the Meyers since (from my research) there is no great, or inexpensive way to fix the large dent. I'm looking at cost effective approaches for the other boat.

I see a couple threads regarding Flex Seal but they are at least 5 years old. Have more people tried Flex Seal to fix their boat and were they successful? Any long term reports from those who have used it over the years?

Thanks!

Welcome to our pond, Zuren !!

ohhhhhh there are several recent posts about that spray on seal stuff
you see on TV....... the general consensus is DON'T USE IT. (for a number of reasons).

also - in this forum, you will get better results for your concerns
if you post photos of what you need help with.

G-Flex 650 will CURE (no pun intended) all your leaky suspects on that hull and it will be done once and in the right way! Strongly recommend you clean the areas, acid etch with white vinegar wash, then zinc chromate prime before sealing attempts.

See: https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40954&hilit=g+flex

Voice over: "This episode of Swamp People is dedicated to the late Les Moore, who took his flex-sealed tiny tin boat, one quite appropriately named 'Tiny Tin', out to conquer Conan the giant alligator that been terrorizing villagers in these here parts as of late. Looks like Conan got the best of that leaky tin ... for no Les, no more ... "

[No offense intended to those that live in swamps ... ]

Latest posts