Pontoon Boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
I eventually want to own a smaller 'toon. Something in the 14-20' range. Nothing fancy, maybe a 20-25 horse motor, trolling motor, FF, livewell, maybe some sun/rain protection, and alittle more deck area to move around on, or take a nap during those all night catfishing trips, and maybe grille a burger or 'dog on for lunch.

Anyone ever own one, or have the desire to? This topic is just more of a converstaion, so if you don't have the desire to own, or haven't owned one, don't hesitate to add your opinions, even if they're "con".

ST

PS- Would a 'toon still be considered a tinboat??? :mrgreen:

For the things you mentioned, I think a pontoon would be perfect. I don't own one, but before my buddy got his first boat, that was the only thing I was every on. My aunt(s) had/have one and everynow and then we'd get to go out on theirs. They are perfect for the type of fishing you mentioned...plenty of room to move around, super stable, and even got the rear bench seats to stretch out on if you get tired. Plus they got the cover over them to get out of the sun on those hot days.

I wouldn't want one that had much in the way of furniture on it. I figured a couple of comfortable folding camping chairs would be good, since they could be moved-around...plus it would be a 100% fishing vessel. Might add a good size rod locker & some secure storage for tackle, but that's be about it.

A comfortable recliner might not be bad :mrgreen:

ST

I guess it would depend on what kind of fishing you were doing. The ones that I have tried to fish off of were a pain. The wind wreaks havoc on them and you can't maneuver them into tight spots.

I guess if you were anchoring off or just drift fishing, they would be decent.

Steady yes, I have considered this as well, I was concern about the railing? Might have to remove this for propper pole handling and net handling :wink: I'd want to beable to cast anywhere on the boat for one of those ah Ha! moments on a big sudden surface splash from Mr. Fishy, but the canopy should stay(I can cast at 3 or 9 O'clock if needed.

Here in Boonville there is a guy I come across at times who has a 18 footer(i think) that he fishes with. it does all that a jon boat can he says with more comfort. BUT, he has issues in real choppy water, like by the Dams.

It seems it be a tall boat to deal with only and everything else would be fine, just have to adapt.

If I come across one cheap I'd try it.

Oh yea I would consider it a tin-boat only if it was customized :wink:

Quackr- What kind of problems did you encounter?

FB- Since I don't have kids, so I could modify the railing as needed, possibly adding a gate in both sides. No larger of a 'toon than I'd want, it'd only be a couple (maybe 3) steps from either end of the boat to the gates on the sides regardless of where you were. Those railings are perfect places for rodholders though.

Also, I honestly avoid large busy waters. I don't like dealing with crowds, rude boaters/PWC'ers, and boat wake. I could spend the remainder of my life fishing TM only waters & it wouldn't upset me a bit :wink: I pretty much anchor & fish, drift sometimes, but I'm not so much of a "bank runner" as I was when I bass fished more. I lean more towards panfish & cats.

It would definately be modified :mrgreen: I also have future plans (in a year or so) of buying a school bus, and converting it to live in full time. I've been researching as well as working on a floorplan, mechanical (electrical, solar, plumbing, water supply & storage, waste, etc.) for the past several months.....but that's another story 8)

ST

Ive fished from a buddys toon several times, always anchored at night. Great night fishing rig. I just dont want to deal with it the rest of the time; load/unload, storage, fishing timber. I got rid of 18' runabout for the same reasons. I always end up going by myself and dont need that much room to make it worth it. If my family "boated" alot or if several people going night fishing, Id get a toon.

SlimeTime said:
possibly adding a gate in both sides.

Yea I'd do that

Also, I honestly avoid large busy waters. I don't like dealing with crowds, rude boaters/PWC'ers, and boat wake. I could spend the remainder of my life fishing TM only waters & it wouldn't upset me a bit :wink:

Sounds just like me
I also have future plans (in a year or so) of buying a school bus, and converting it to live in full time. I've been researching as well as working on a floorplan, mechanical (electrical, solar, plumbing, water supply & storage, waste, etc.) for the past several months.....but that's another story 8)

Self reliant--I like. I'm a member of backwoods magazine that has tons of that stuff there, visit the site if your not familiar, they got a self reliant forum

ST

SlimeTime said:
Quackr- What kind of problems did you encounter?

Wind, hard to maneuver, can't get it into small spots (crappie and bass fishing structure), roll in the chop, etc.

All we have around here is probably what you consider large, busy waters. :lol: There are no tm only waters anywhere near me that I am even aware of. Most all small waters are private and not developed for launching a boat any bigger than what you can launch by hand.

It takes a pretty good ramp to launch a 20' pontoon. We have a 21' turned duck blind. You can't just launch that thing anywhere you get ready to along the shoreline.

Thanks for the replies, thoughts & opinions :wink: If & when I ever get one, I'd prefer it to be a 14 or 16', I'd have to be given a real deal to take an 18-20'er.

I figure the smaller 'toons, with smaller tubes would be less pron to some of the problems mentioned, but I also understand "ya can't have it all" :mrgreen: I'd give up alittle for comforts sake, and I'm all about relaxing when I fish....that's the whole purpose.

FB- I'll see if I can Google the site you mentioned, if I can't find it I may shoot you a PM for the link.

ST

There is a guy I see in one or two spots on the lake dang near any time I am up near the dam (or down near the dam, depending on which end I launch from - dam is in the middle). He seems to even have a reserved parking space at one of the ramps (at least his van/trailer is there anytime I pass by). He has a toon that seems to be stripped of all but the console, and the far stern bench seat. The rest is open, and that space contains large coolers, camp chairs etc. That guy probably has 30 or more catfish/carp (large size rods obviously fished on the bottom) rods out at once, on rod holders clamped to the rails. He anchors up, and the rest of the evening, all you see off that boat is scores of rods. His open layout allows him access to each and every one of them, and he has the bimini top (though I usually see him late evening or nighttime). I guess if that is what you are after, they are perfect.

My father in law has a 24ft toon that they keep at their lake place and it is awesome for cruising around the lake with a lot of people. We also fish off of it some, but mostly trolling for walleye and pike. Not as easy to fish out of as a fishing boat obviously, but you can fish with a lot of people at the same time. he has gates on all 4 sides, and fishing off the front is nice because the railing doesn't go all the way to the front so you can stand on the outside of the railing and fish for bass.

I plan on buying one in a couple of years so it is easier to take my handicapped daughter with. She loves being in the boat, but it just isn't safe with a 16' tin boat. The pontoon will make it easier for us to take the whole family fishing.

flounder- Even the small ones?

natetrack- I'm getting so I don't get around so well myself, which is alot of the reason I'm wanting one....comfort. I don't have a wife or kids (lol....you're welcome :wink: ), so I'll have to find someone to drag along to help load/unload.

ST

Think sail area. Look at a pontoon boat on a trailer and see how high they ride above the road. Then if you have even canvas sides on the rails any cross wind will play havoc with them. Personally I have never pulled one but my bosses dad does and dreads the days he pulls it home from the lake in the winter and when he pulls it back in the summer. It's one of those boats that is best left at the water.

Trailering can be hectic, especially with the scissor trailors. If you are going to trailer it often, you would be better off getting a float on trailer where the pontoons sit on the trailer, rather than the trailer sitting in between the pontoons on the bottom of the frame like a scissor lift.

My father in law has a scissor trailer, but leaves the boat on the lift all summer and then pulls it in the winter.

I wouldn't have thought a smaller 'toon would have been that bad. I drove a full-size work van for decades, and know the wind can play hell with them. My 'toon wouldn't have enclosed sides, just open railings.

I would have to trailer it every time I used it. What would make a difference between the 2 styles of trailers as far as trailering?

Thanks for the input
ST

Does anyone have any advice on what would be the difference in pulling a scissor trailer or float-on trailer?

SlimeTime said:
I wouldn't have thought a smaller 'toon would have been that bad. I drove a full-size work van for decades, and know the wind can play hell with them. My 'toon wouldn't have enclosed sides, just open railings.

I would have to trailer it every time I used it. What would make a difference between the 2 styles of trailers as far as trailering?

Thanks for the input
ST

I googled comparing the two and was going to post the link but I got one of those scam antivirus things when I when there. Just took me 45 minutes to get rid of it. Anyhow, pretty sure the float on ones are more stable when trailering (less fishtailing). They are a little higher but I don't think that makes a big diffference as far as trailering. Probably need to back in a bit more to launch/recover it. My buddy has a 21 footer with a float on trailer and while he has never had the scissor style said he had no issues pulling it 200 miles or launching it. He pulls with a V10 Excursion.

Latest posts