Suspect Pressure Treated Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampaige

Reaction score
I'm pulling my hair out with this boat I bought. I started stripping away the paint on the outside of the transom and found a ton of rot. I have posted a few times of my woes. Today I observed a pattern in the rot and it appears to be concentrated on the edges of the wood of the transom. Does this appear to you like pressure treated wood was used?
ac5932d9b44938d0d3e4ae69654352a3.jpg

Looks like a Starcraft hull ... is it?

They didn't use pressure-treated wood, but didn't seal the wood either, so I'd say that was a boat that has seen saltwater use and waves over the transom saturated the wood with saltwater, which caused the aluminum skin to corrode. The tin was also not primed, like zinc chromate, which can help prevent corrosive elements from setting up.

That corrosion, which becomes a calcified corrosion layer in the precipitate INSIDE the thickness, will not stop until the transom is fully rotted away :shock: .

Take a look at the 16' Starcraft hull in my profile. I ended replacing the complete inside & outside aluminum skins, plus with a new transom core. Lots of riveting ... but thank God I had bought the boat cheap! ... plus have the skills and/or aptitude (aluminum forming) to fix it myself.

The picture to follow shows a liquid salt 'goop' still weeping out of the wood 2-years after the boat had last seen the water (bought the hull from a widow).

Attachments

• Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 613
It is a Starcraft 16 Camp SF. I on the coast in CT and I know that the previous owner used it in salt and brackish water. I will be using it in salt water, also, if I never get the holes in the hull sealed up. I patched many of them according to Johnny's recommendation but kept finding more and more pin holes. I'm wire wheeling the inside of the hull to prep it for gluvit. But the transom rot is heavy on my mind while I prep the hull.
cb411b2a722c9e3dd3b0c78d600e7b33.jpg

Dale, my transom was leaking a substance just like that. From what I've been told the boat hasn't been in the water in almost a year. I wouldn't have a problem spending the money for skins on the transom if I knew how well the hull would hold up in 3-5 years.

Ram - it is not the money that is the issue to replace a transom skin.
it is finding a responsible and qualified person to do it for you. (or help you).
as Dale can testify - this is not a job for the inexperienced tin-bender.

There are other options available such as bringing the transom metal down to pristine clean
with media blasting. Then, a layer or two of fiberglass cloth using POR-15 as the
encapsulator. Then, fabricate and waterproof a new transom panel.
(this process will far outlast the boat).

- your call -