16" vs 20" transoms

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
I'm about to reel in one with a 20" transom and just realized it was also made as a 16". Never really understood how much it matters. I know short shaft motors are easier to sell and that's about it. I'm guessing the big transom is for big water?

Depends where you live. Around here, everyone wants long shafts. Big lakes and rough water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All other things equal a boat with a 20" transom will likely be rated for more HP than the same boat with a 16" ransom. Of course it's still up to the builder's discretion.

On big water I'd definitely go with the deeper transom, unless you just fish in the same cove you launch in. Smith Mountain Lake is a bit calmer than Buggs Island, and there have been times on Buggs Island in gross weather when I would have been a whole lot more comfortable in way more than the 14 footer I was in.

Get one with a 16" and use it a while.

Guarantee at some point you'll wish it was a 20 (or actually 21") transom.

16" motor might be a little lighter but that's about the only pro, and lots of cons. Some motors aren't available in anything but 16", so keep that in mind. Others are nearly impossible to find in either 16" or 20" depending on the motor and the locale. In this area, there is a mixture of the two, from 25hp and up, but the 20" is more popular-and more desirable-and it shows in resale value.

This transom may be 21". Will a 20" shaft be okay on it. My current boat uses a short shaft. Tillers in the 35-40 hp are like hens teeth, at least the older ones I can afford and prefer.

Latest posts