Salvaged title with odd numbering.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
I looked at a boat (and bought it) this week but could not find any hull numbers on it. The boat was mint but the title said salvage. Every inch of boat was looked over and it was never repaired. Power is Evinrude 48 Spl with a Mercury 8hp trolling motor. Under the trolling motor I found the numbers. It looks hand stamped, one number at a time. I've never seen numbers right in the spot that you clamp motors. 1991 is the year of the boat and both motors. Boat is Valco Bayrunner. My old boat is 1983 16' version of the same boat and it's got proper numbers in the right spot. Can you speculate why the numbers are odd and the title shows salvage on a factory condition hull?

Stolen, recovered with missing HIN?

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

Stump - where are you from ?

first thing I would do is check with the people (DMV/DNR) that issue the
registration papers and numbers.
some states can be a nightmare, if not impossible, get anything
done with a salvage title so that you can legally use it in public waterways.
can you scan and post a copy of the salvage title and block out your personal info ??

good luck !!

for example:
Salvaged Vessel/Boat in Florida;
Florida has no salvage laws giving the finder of an abandoned vessel rights of ownership.
Florida is a title state, thereby requiring a transfer of vessel title from owner to purchaser
in order to obtain legal ownership. A person who finds an abandoned vessel and who wants
to make claim to it must comply with Section 705.103, Florida Statutes. This will allow for a person
to make claim to the property and make application for title transfer into his name.

If there is no sign of repair either it was done VERY well or as someone mentioned, it was probably stolen, returned stripped so the insurer totaled the boat and then claimed from a salvage yard. You say you have got the title, so you shouldn't have issues with registration or insurance, but it could make it more difficult to sell in the future as a salvage title is a big red flag to buyers, many of whom are not savy enough to recognize there is no hull damage to the boat.

It's not a salvage Oregon title anymore. Here in Arizona we only register boats and that's basically the title. They gave me a clean registration at lunch today. Next I went to the DMV to get the trailer titled and registered. Since it has no trailer title (not needed in Oregon) I have to get an official AZ bill of sale notorized and then bring the trailer in for level one inspection. It went just like this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBLlFMn9Xc
I'm meeting the PO on Friday to get a genuine AZ approved bill of sale and I'll jump thru the DMV hoops again next week. I'm thinking the boat was built and never serialized. Maybe it went thru bankruptcy or something. Valco fell on hard times and the union forced them out of buisness. Klamath makes the Bayrunner today but that all I can find out.

Latest posts