rub rail and transom trim Sea Nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobu

Reaction score
0423171500.jpg0423171455.jpgHi I'm new here.
I just bought an older 17.5 Sea Nymph and am trying to freshen her up. I attached pictures. I am wondering if anyone knows what the trim piece is called at the top of the transom and also the shorter rub rail along the side. The aluminum is corroded and would like to find a place where I can get new ones.

Thank you,
Joe

Welcome Aboard, Joe !!

the top of the transom metal is called a "Transom Cap".
they can be ordered on line, made at a metal shop or
with a little skill, you can make one yourself.

as for the rub rail. Have you googled "Boat Rub Rail" yet ??
it will turn up thousands of options to choose from.

I don't know if the side rub rail is factory installed.
it may very well be an addition from a previous owner.
if you don't want it - take it off and patch the holes.

I also wondered if the "rub rail" was an add-on, but see similar ones on google images. Who knows-- not me that is for sure. Haha.

If you replace it, maybe consider end caps made of composite material to avoid deterioration.

Transom Cap - I'm putting in new wood in the transom of my 12' skiff and I'm using some sheet 5052 alloy to form the new trim cap. I have a special 'crayon' that melts at 550-degrees (IIRC), which is the temperature that alloy anneals (softens) at. Then I'll bend it in a break to form it. I'll vinegar wash, then prime the inside w/ zinc chromate aluminum prep/paint, then glue it on and attach some aluminum 'trim' nails to secure it.

Rub Rail - I'm 99% sure that's made by Taco Industries and if the ends look like they were chromed, the I'd say the ends are not aluminum, but Zamak. Zamak is an alloys of zinc as the base metal, with elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper. It is a HORRIBLE choice for a metal on a boat, more so in saltwater use, as it corrodes terribly and the zinc leaches out and the metal loses its strength. They use to make railing bases out of it and I've seen rails (and people) fall off the boat due to the corrosion.

Look up Taco Ind, as if the rest is usuable, you might be able to just replace the end pieces.

The rub rail looks like it's from the top of a Chrysler mini-van.
Those strips can be had that have self-adhesive as well.

Latest posts