14' boat info needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipfloat10

Reaction score
Okay, I've been fishing for a long time (which means I'm old) and I'd like to get the benefit of some sage advice. Tin boats are completely new to me, which is why I need to post this question. I've located a decent little 14' boat with a 5 HP Suzuki motor, at a very good price. Here's where the big concern comes in. This boat is 14' long, with a 46" beam, which leaves a floor width at the front of the rear of only 32". How stable would this boat be? Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Aboard, Slip !

photos of your concerns will always get more results from the gallery.

other info is needed.
your body size
how many passengers
how much gear
what type of waters do you fish in
V hull, MV or flat bottom
can you swim well ?
and since you said you are "old" - do you have balance issues ???
stuff like that

If you forget about pedestal seats and casting platforms then you will be fine. That's a light motor but if your a fat azz and are not agile then forget it. If you want a full cooler, trolling batteries and a fat buddy then forget it unless your out of the wind on a flat pond. I sold a 16' with a merc 20 to a fat old guy about 75. I always wondered if that boat was going to kill him. Old school dumb azz was to not wear a lifejacket if you could swim. New school cool is to always wear one. Buy the boat and be reasonable. You will love it so much that you will be in that 16 footer in two years with all your money back from the old one. Good luck!

Guys, thanks for the great input. I'm looking at a 16' at the same time, so I think I'll opt to go that route. BTW, I'm 64, excellent physical condition, 200 lbs, and wear a PFD religiously.
Ron

Latest posts