Anyone ever added a casting deck to a Plastic Jon boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcpartridge91

Reaction score
I just acquired a 12' American Jon plastic boat. Kinda similar to the sun dolphin jon boats. I'm thinking about adding a casting deck onto it, I would just lay the plywood over the top of the bench seats and secure it to a wooden frame underneath with cutouts for storage, Is this even possible on a plastic jon boat? Not looking to spend a lot of money on this thing. The boat is pretty stable in the water as is I think it might work but would like some input from others who may have tried to modify one.

Another idea would be to drill out the rivets that hold the Upper and lower sections of the boat together and build a deck on top of the hull, any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,526
IMG_1207.jpg
adjusted the photo for the gallery to get a better understanding of what you have.
(no comment on any kind of modifications).
other than - - - if I were back (way back) in my younger care-free days,
I would probably go with your second idea. Remove the top cap and
rework the bottom part to accept modifications..... substantial reinforcement
to keep the sides from collapsing in on itself . . . then build the floor
to the lowest point possible to preserve the center of balance factor.
In my world now, it would only be good for my 12 yo grandkids to putter around
in a pond with a trolling motor - that would be a hoot for them.

** DISCLAIMER: https://www.tinboats.net and/or members of https://www.tinboats.net will not
and can not be held legally responsible and/or liable for any information, suggestions or endorsements
for any modifications/alterations or products that you may use to repair or modify your own personal boat,
watercraft, motor or trailer from the original manufacturers specifications.
It is the responsibility of the boat owner to use his/her prudent best judgment as to modifying or altering
the structural integrity of the boat hull, trailer or motor as designed and built by the manufacturer **

I'd throw a piece of plywood down and try it first.... my guess is that you'll find those few inches higher are not worth the instability.....

Ok so after experimenting with casting deck ideas I have decided this plastic boat is just too unstable to modify into a small bass boat, so I am now experimenting with adding some kind of PVC outrigging system onto the sides, I'd probably go with like 2 10" pvc pipes attached to the sides of the boat to help add a little bit more stability.

So now I have more questions,

What would some of you recommend as to attaching them to the sides, I could drill holes and bolt some pipe straps onto the sides of the boat and have the pvc sit inside the straps, or I could strap the pvc onto a piece of unistrut and have it farther away from the sides, which may increase my center of gravity making my boat act like a mini pontoon type boat.

Should I put the pvc closer to the boat sides or have them rigged out a foot or two away from the sides?

Hope my question makes since it sounds good in my head, but having not done anything like this before I am unsure how to do it, as far as drilling holes in my boat and having bolts with washers in the holes I would silicone the heck out of the sides around the holes, would that be somewhat ok safety wise?

YouTube is your friend...

What would some of you recommend as to attaching them to the sides, I could drill holes and bolt some pipe straps onto the sides of the boat and have the pvc sit inside the straps, or I could strap the pvc onto a piece of unistrut and have it farther away from the sides, which may increase my center of gravity making my boat act like a mini pontoon type boat.

Some people have utilized their rod holders. Heat and bend a piece of PVC; (check YouTube as to how to do that)....slip it into the rod holder; add a bolt or pin to keep the PVC from rotating; and hang the floats that way.

Others have just run a piece of PVC/ wood 2x4/ etc. straight across the boat and tied the floats into it. That horizontal piece can be attached to your crate if you reinforce the crate and are certain that the crate is affixed to your boat in a strong manner.

Should I put the pvc closer to the boat sides or have them rigged out a foot or two away from the sides? The further the PVC is out from the boat, the more leverage you will have to hold the boat upright. At the same time, the further it is out, the more it will be in the way of fishing or landing a fish.

Hope my question makes since it sounds good in my head, but having not done anything like this before I am unsure how to do it, as far as drilling holes in my boat and having bolts with washers in the holes I would silicone the heck out of the sides around the holes, would that be somewhat ok safety wise? IMHO, the fewer holes you put in any boat, the better off you will be.

There is a guy on YouTube who has done most of the things that you are talking about. Reviewing his many tapes will be worthwhile. His name is Zoffinger and here is just one of dozens of tapes he has made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnxGU-i_z4

He is doing these things to a small kayak. Their use would be applicable to your plastic craft. I find his tapes a bit long, but the knowledge he imparts is worth the time it takes to learn.

regards, richg99

I suggest you take a look at a thread from Sept 2016 named "Boat Collars" (sorry, I don't know how to paste a link). Seems this is similar to what you want to do and it may give you some ideas.

I would think adding lengths of 10" PVC pipe long each side would add a fair amount of stability. However, be aware that 10" sched 40 PVC will weigh about 7.5 lbs per foot. A length along both sides will add about 180 lbs.

Latest posts