Need boat purchase ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipfloat10

Reaction score
Okay folks, I'm back with a new question - several actually. First, I have a lot of boating experience, but have never owned a tin boat, other than a pontoon. I currently have a very nice 18' Bass Buggy pontoon, but I want something I can take to the river for some quick Crappie fishing. The navigation channel is just a few miles from my house, while the closest late is about 35 miles away. And, due to the drop off at the end of the ramp at the navigation channel, I'm not able to launch my pontoon down there. Please keep in mind that I'm retired, on a limited budget (set by my wife), and I need the best bang for my buck. So, here's the first question - flat bottom or a V hull? I'm 6'1", good physical condition, 210 lbs. and always wear PFD when on the water. I'll usually be fishing alone, but my wife (125 lbs.) or my shooting buddy (175 lbs) might be along with me. Wide flat bottoms are tough to find around here (boats, not women), and the widest flat bottom I've found to date is 36". Of course, I've found some wider V hulls, in the 12' -14' length (I prefer a 14' length), and my primary concern is stability. I know of a very nice looking 1432 for sale, at a very good price, with a 6 HP Suzuki, but I'm concerned about stability. Almost all of my fishing will be for Crappie, so I won't be standing and doing a lot of casting. Give me feedback folks. Oh, BTW, the slough off of the navigation channel, where I'll do most of my fishing, isn't moving water at all, but it is cottonmouth infested.

glad you asked all these questions !! so you don't end up with something
that will not work for you - or be unsafe.

the rule of thumb is: More Wider = More Safer

with your size in mind, anything under a 36" bottom is not recommended.
14 feet with a 48" bottom would be the popular vote.
the V hull, modified V or flat bottom is strictly your choice and what you can find within your budget.

for an experiment - cut three sticks; 32" - 36" and 48" and lay them on the floor.
stand on each of them . . . . this will give you an idea of the room in that size boat.

Reason I ask is there are lots of flat bottom dealers in Mo. How deep the water you going to be running in? Do u need a jet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you shop around, you can get a new jon boat for not much more than the beat up ones on craig's list. Go long & get the x wide/deep, it will serve you well & be easy to sell when that day comes.

I was lucky to find a jon on CL that a fire crew was replacing - it had only seen water 3 times & never rescued anyone. This was after looking at ones with dents, peeling paint & leaky rivets for 3 months.

I'm deeply appreciative of everyone's feedback. I'll be running in water that's 5' +, so there's no need for a jet. I have located a 1243 semi V Smokercraft w/6 HP Ecinrude for a pretty good price, so I might go ahead and jump on the 12' and call it good.

I'd caution you against the 12', I've never met anyone that has a 12' who didn't almost instantly regret it.... I'd start with 1448 minimum. If you want to stand in the boat at all 12' is out

I had and sold a 1436 few years back because the wife and I almost tipped it. Then bought a new 1542 Tracker Topper for 1100.00 new, kind of hard to beat that price on a new boat. It was a pretty good little crappie boat for two fishermen running a 4hp Tohatsu in the creek and river. It was a light gauge hull for hand loading on top of a vehicle that's what Topper means. Still was a little tippy running trot lines with two people on the same side of the boat. After taking on a little water over the side came very close to flipping it pulling a big cat over the side of the boat we decided to step up to a new 1648MVX Tracker Grizzly, again at 2900.00 for the boat and 1100.00 for matching trailer hard to beat the price. This made all the difference in the world. Now I know why you cant find a 48" wide bottom john boat for sale used. The wife and I can both sit on one side running trot lines and we cant make it take on water. I also had a 1448 alu craft and a 1448 nova john boat that was very stable. The two ft extra in length on the 16ft boat does make a difference in stability. The extra 6 inches in width makes all the difference. If you cant go longer defiantly go 48 inches wide.

Latest posts