What small boats take the worthless long shaft outboard?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
I'm stuck with two long shaft motors. Merc 8 hp and Yammaha 6. Did anybody make any small boats designed to take long shaft outboards? I got them both as kicker motors on the last two boats I bought. As typical they are impossible to sell and are in like new condition. I even offered to trade the 8 for a 2-4 hp long shaft but all I got was offers for an electric trolling motor. I'd sure like a small tin that was designed to take one of them.

Can always either get a jack plate or what I'd do is build up the transom on a small tinny. 12 footer with either of those fine motors would make a great "small water" boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alumacraft makes almost all there jons w a 20" transom. Mines not so tiny, a 1648 w Yamaha f25, but I specifically ordered long shaft and high transom. Less water from waves coming into the dock make it over the transom and work the bilge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Can always either get a jack plate or what I'd do is build up the transom on a small tinny. 12 footer with either of those fine motors would make a great "small water" boat.

Exactly!
I have all long shaft motors, even with a 20" transom on a 1648 Tracker GRIZZLY, I need to raise a 40/30 Yamaha jet at least 3 1/4" either with a jack plate or make a riser for it. Also have a 1654 FB tracker GRIZZLY that a long shaft prop fits perfectly on, and have a 4.5 Merc. long shaft as a kicker on a 17' StarCraft SFM. Seems strange they are impossible to sell, as stated there are plenty of boats that have 20" transoms or need LS kickers.

My Alumacraft Navigator 165CS has a deep transom on the outside but it's lower where my 90hp sits. I put my evinrude 6hp long shaft outboard motor on as a kicker. I actually added a 2x6 with about a 3" rise so I didn't leave indentations from the mounting screw cups. It's twice as fast as just using the trolling motor.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Stumpalump said:
I'm stuck with two long shaft motors. Merc 8 hp and Yammaha 6. Did anybody make any small boats designed to take long shaft outboards? I got them both as kicker motors on the last two boats I bought. As typical they are impossible to sell and are in like new condition. I even offered to trade the 8 for a 2-4 hp long shaft but all I got was offers for an electric trolling motor. I'd sure like a small tin that was designed to take one of them.

Change your market. Stop trying to sell them to jon boat guys, and start working on the nearshore guys looking for a kicker.

Latest posts