Looking for organizational ideas, 14' semi v cluttered.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_cheapo

Reaction score
I have a 14' Richline semi V, merc 9.8 on the back. #45 minn kota foot control on the front with mid level casting deck.

For the most part I catfish, and the clutter is driving me nuts. So many times I see boats on here with hardly anything in them, but I'd say while fishing they look a bit different, or maybe you guys are more organized/ can make do with less.

Here's the gear I "need" 2 anchors 1 danforth style that will really hold the boat well then a really small grapling style like what PWC use, I do this so put the larger one into the current then the second one off the back to stop sway. The trolling motor on the front and it's battery, self explanitory and non negotiable since I go on some electric only lakes. Cast net, milk crate of "noodles" for jug lining, a cooler that I run a hose into for a makeshift live well, a small food and drink cooler (I also use the lid as a cutting board), I have a small garmin fishfinder on the front with the transducer mounted to the trolling motor, it's been a big help, a cast net for bait, pliers, bait knife, small tackle box, fire extinguisher, 4 rods, 2 lifejackets just laying on the floor, a paddle (just incase) and a landing net. Thinking about adding a bucket to store some of this in that would double as a drift sock.

My boat has almost no compartments, just a little battery compartment on the front that I have a mr bubbles 12v airator mounted in as well with the hose sticking out. I considered making compartments under the benches/casting deck. I also noticed they have no foam so I'm thinking that should take priority.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations from this forum of what a small fishing boat will look like, maybe I'm hoarding, I'm not really sure.
Warning here are some candid pictures of my boat in it's natural habitat

Attachments

• IMG_20170428_093325.jpg
    IMG_20170428_093325.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_20170502_111618.jpg
    IMG_20170502_111618.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_20170502_111645.jpg
    IMG_20170502_111645.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_20170502_111719.jpg
    IMG_20170502_111719.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 859
My sheds....junk everywhere
My desk....junk pile
My man cave...messy
My boat.....always shipshape! I can't stand a messy/junky boat! And everything has it's place

-Bundle your rods with two "Nite Ize" gear ties when you're not using them. Can find them just about anywhere.
-Get rid of that net. Any catfish small enough to fit in that can just be jerked over the rail. :)
-Ditch the grapple anchor and get a 20 or 25lb mushroom. Takes up less room.
-Add some cargo net bungee to the sides to stow stuff in. https://www.organizedobie.com/categories/259/Barrier-Stretch-Nets
-Use mount a neodymium magnet in a convenient spot to store anything magnet like pliers, knife, etc.

First thing I would ditch is the cat.

The only things I can stand to have above deck when I'm on the lake are rods, a net, plano tackle tray, and my beer. Everything else is stowed in the compartments below my floor and the large front compartment. I need my open space in the boat - sometimes that's taken up by my girlfriend or my dog.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
My sheds....junk everywhere
My desk....junk pile
My man cave...messy
My boat.....always shipshape! I can't stand a messy/junky boat! And everything has it's place

-Bundle your rods with two "Nite Ize" gear ties when you're not using them. Can find them just about anywhere.
-Get rid of that net. Any catfish small enough to fit in that can just be jerked over the rail. :)
-Ditch the grapple anchor and get a 20 or 25lb mushroom. Takes up less room.
-Add some cargo net bungee to the sides to stow stuff in. https://www.organizedobie.com/categories/259/Barrier-Stretch-Nets
-Use mount a neodymium magnet in a convenient spot to store anything magnet like pliers, knife, etc.

Great Idea on the magnet, I got that net as a gift and just now when I read your comment realized how small it really is, although the rubber net gets stuck on stuff way less. The Cargo bungees will be a great help.

Thanks!

I have a 1648 flat bottom that also has storage issues. I have the model with no center seat so I basically have a 4 foot front and rear deck and an 8 foot open mid section. It has the small cubby under the front deck which is maybe 16"x12" but that is it aside from the rear area for fuel tank, battery, etc. I try to keep my dry box with emergency tools and registration back there but it is a tight fit since it isn't the full width of the boat (since the sides have foam to make up for the lack of foam from what would be in the middle bench seat). The one positive to having little storage though is it keeps me from adding a bunch of extra weight. I have to be selective of what I carry and thus I usually carry less with me.

For my boat, I plan to add vertical rod holders somewhere as well as rod savers on the sides in the middle. I also use a cooler as a livewell but plan to buy a large Plano drybox as well to store my tackle in. I typically don't use a net, but if I did, I would prob keep it in one of the vertical rod holder tubes (if it would fit). And those bungee straps seem awesome. I could put one on each side of the cubby on the back side of my front deck and they would be real handy for keeping things like leader line, pliers, scales, measuring tools, etc.

wmk0002 said:
I have a 1648 flat bottom that also has storage issues. I have the model with no center seat so I basically have a 4 foot front and rear deck and an 8 foot open mid section. It has the small cubby under the front deck which is maybe 16"x12" but that is it aside from the rear area for fuel tank, battery, etc. I try to keep my dry box with emergency tools and registration back there but it is a tight fit since it isn't the full width of the boat (since the sides have foam to make up for the lack of foam from what would be in the middle bench seat). The one positive to having little storage though is it keeps me from adding a bunch of extra weight. I have to be selective of what I carry and thus I usually carry less with me.

For my boat, I plan to add vertical rod holders somewhere as well as rod savers on the sides in the middle. I also use a cooler as a livewell but plan to buy a large Plano drybox as well to store my tackle in. I typically don't use a net, but if I did, I would prob keep it in one of the vertical rod holder tubes (if it would fit). And those bungee straps seem awesome. I could put one on each side of the cubby on the back side of my front deck and they would be real handy for keeping things like leader line, pliers, scales, measuring tools, etc.

I just mocked up the net by tying some trot line string between the benches on the very edges, enough to throw a lifejacket over basically. It's already made a big difference in the feel of the boat, being able to just put your feet down and not step on anything.

Check out TackleWebz. The have lots of different size storage nets. I have three of them in my boat that are 4yrs old and they are all still in great shape. They won't solve all your problems, but might help get some of the smaller stuff stowed out of the way.

Latest posts