Applying adhesive I could use suggestions .

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyTodd

Reaction score
Are there any suggestions you all might have for a particular brand of adhesive? Something perhaps spray on, strong, should last 1 year at least. I would like to apply it directly to the aluminum floor, it has been primed and painted. I believe this is the carpet i bought from home depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Elevations-Color-Sky-Grey-Ribbed-Indoor-Outdoor-12-ft-Carpet-7PD5N660144H/203240740. If at all possible i need to save a little money , but if it has to be costly so be it. I am not looking for perfection all thoughts welcome.

Thank you

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,607
I have looked through the forums, and what i came out with was essentially contact cement. So if that is in fact the answer any personal preference? brand ,cost, etc...keeping in mind i need enough to cover a 4' x 12' aluminum floor and now that i think about it the bottom of the carpet as well.

Jimmy - you want it to last a year . . . . .
what happens after the year is up ?? what are your plans?

some adhesives, such as Weldwood Contact Adhesive is pretty permanent
and must be burned off with heat after it has cured a few weeks.
do your homework in not just putting it down - but how to remove it in the future
when it comes time to redecorate.
if you want just temporary holding - look into carpet tape.
a double sided very aggressive tape that might suit your needs. (many brands on the market).

A year really just means some time around spring. I try to do my repairs in early spring if possible. I agree more permanent options are difficult to remove. I have always been a fan of the phrase in for a penny in for a pound . In my case after preparing the boat i applied flex seal liquid, and so in my thinking applying what ever glue or cement to hold the carpet until next spring was fine. Obviously I am going to probably have to burn off the flex seal next year already. I am interested in the tape idea. I had not thought of tape great idea . Checking on cost as I type. I am hoping to just grab something from home depot or the like.

well - I really am lost for words as to what will stick to the flex seal stuff.
that will have to be a trial and error project in just that.
from the infomercials on TV, it is a silicone product and nothing sticks to silicone.

the carpet tape I have on hand and use it for a multitude of things is ShurTape.
I have the really heavy duty stuff that cost $18 for a 25yd roll from Lowe's carpet section.
a quick google search turns up the "Duck" brand for much less but I don't know anything about it.
it comes in handy for anything you want temporarily bonded.
the SurTape is a fiberglass mesh tape with real sticky adhesive on each side.
maybe another member here has used something that will suffice for your needs.
carpet tape.jpg

another adhesive that would be the easiest for you to apply would be the 3M-77 spray.
many folks have used it with good success in their project. I have used it several times.
S-18767.jpg

JimmyTodd said:
I am not looking for perfection all thoughts welcome.
Then why use any adhesive? I put carpet in a little tin without gluing it down and it worked. But I had cut it so it fit around the seat supports so it stayed 'locked' into position.

Personally i'm not a fan of carpet in boats ...

Like jonny said. 3m 77 or the super 90. I use super 90 for alot of things, and the stuff works great so lokg as you apply it correctly. Only problem is a can dosent really go very far......and it gets pricey......quickly

one more thing about the 3m spray adhesives. If your boat is dried out after use, and kept covered, it will hold up well. If the boat is stored outside and water allowed to pubble in the bottom, it will start to let loose.

I wandered around home depot and found the 3m 77 spray adhesive it was ..9.99 I believe. The can had printed on it that one can covered 220 sq feet I don't believe one can would have done the job 2 perhaps 3 ...maybe. I also located some excellent adhesive in a gallon that was around 12.75. I found double sided tape that would have worked as well. It was around 5.00 for 15 feet if i recall correctly after figuring out i would need around 4 to 5 rolls I walked out with the gallon of adhesive and a trowel. I cut the carpet in this evening i will have pictures up tomorrow. For now I have decided to wait until after a fishing trip this weekend to apply adhesive if at all. I actually like the carpet the way it sits now lol of course that will most likely change after the fishing trip. at this point i am just waiting for a steel plate that i will use to mount a scotty anchor ....thing :). Also i noticed one of the cast corner handles on the back of the boat has a piece missing and seems to be cracking. A real shame since they are original and say aqua swan on them. Thanks for your help everyone I found it very useful.

Keep in mind, when determining the amount of contact adhesive you'll need, you need to factor for both applications, the coat on the sub-strait, and the coat on the carpet. And when i do it, a coat for everything I did't want it getting on.

Looks so nice just sitting on the floor the way it is ;)

Attachments

• 20170503_203017.jpg
    20170503_203017.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,467
I may attach the carpet next year but I took it out for its first voyage and it stayed right where it should have the entire time and worked great.

Take the glue you bought back and get your money. Laying the carpet over the ribs like that you will never keep it glued to the floor. The double sided tape down the sides of the carpet will work better or stick on Velcro. Have used both with success. Like you said no glue or tape may just be your best bet. Nothing will hold if it stays wet very long and you can just pull out the carpet to clean and let dry very easy.

Latest posts