Magnetic switches for compartment lighting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
I saw a thread a few months ago asking about using refrigerator switches for lighting a compartment when the hatch is opened. This idea has been in the back of my mind for quite some time now, and I finish found a solution.

I found these magnetic security system switches on Amazon for $6.48 each.

The switch operates under the influence of the magnet. When apart, the switch is open (or closed, depending on how you have it connected) and when the magnet is positioned next to the switch, the contacts close (or open).

switch is open

Switch is closed

They're 12v, and can be wired as normally open, or normally closed, depending on which terminal you use. I read in the details online that it's only rated for 500ma, which even for an LED isn't much. Double sided tape comes on the back, but I ripped it off because I wanted to use silicone to secure them to my hatches.

I took a dremel to the ends to trim them to appropriate size, and also had to notch out my hatch lid. I mocked up the switch, and applied a few thick coats of Plasti dip, and verified operation before I siliconed everything down.

I chose to use green wire for the common, and load. I had a bunch of it laying around and needed to use it up. The common wire goes to B+, and the other wire goes to my light. I'll go into more detail when I post this in my Weldbilt build thread. I just wanted to give everyone the basics of how to use these to light your storage compartments.

That is a lot of work. Hope it does the job for you.

If I remember that thread, some of us just used inexpensive LED motion/light activated light-sets.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T1O1DXY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51M7t-jBmKL._SL1000_.jpg

Latest posts