Help needed in CT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airforce32380

Reaction score
Good evening I recently received a 14 foot sears aluminum boat from a family member. I did a leak test in seeing that is safe and sound my first thing on my list is the steel flex the whole bottom and then leave the top aluminum. The question I have is there anyone here in Connecticut who can walk me through how to make a casting deck in the front between the front in the first bench seat I want to leave the rest of the boat normal just want to add the deck in the front and well I'm really not that handy with things like this but I'm sure someone have to be around they can walk me through.

Also would love a Tinboats.net sticker if anyone can spare one

Thanks again and look forward to the replies

Attachments

• IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_0924.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 717
Well, I'm in Mass, but might be able to hep you out though cyber-space. I once built a small bow deck, maybe 32" long - fore to aft - that was just plywood resting on heavy aluminum angle.

The angle (top or horizontal piece) was strategically cut with small 'V' notches as needed to get the angle to follow the hull. DO NOT cut all the way to the vertical portion of the angle, only cut where needed. Make a wood jig or sacrifice a piece of small aluminum rod or whatever, to form the curve needed. Lay that on angle and use it to guide you "where" you need to move material so you can bend the angle to the curve.

See if this picture helps you visualize it. Then get some square tubing as horizontal cross-braces, with a vertical brace to the floor. If you have a Grainger industrial supply near you, they are a great source of aluminum extrusions.

You will need heavy duty rivets (see ones in this post, as bought from https://www.mcmastercarr.com) and a large A-frame tool to set them. Post = https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465

Attachments

• Bow Deck.png
    Bow Deck.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 684
I don't actually have any experience working on aluminum boats, but I do live in Ct. Danbury area specifically, and could lend a hand if you live near by.

Ken Morris

Latest posts