The weight of my boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnglerC

Reaction score
I fully restored my boat last year from the hull up. Over the weekend I put it on a scale to see what it weighs. It came in at 1350 pounds. And that's without my 2 marine batteries for the trolling motor. So there's probably another 200 pounds. I noticed in the specs in it's original brochure that it's capacity is 1300 pounds.

Do I have a problem?

AnglerC said:
It came in at 1350 pounds. I noticed in the specs in it's original brochure that it's capacity is 1300 pounds.
Do I have a problem?
No and no ... no two boat manufacturer's weight their hulls exactly the same. Some 'dry weights' don't include rigging or steering systems, or battery or batteries, etc., or other hardware less perhaps rigging the weight of the motor itself. I'm not even sure if ABYC or USCG factors that into advertising weights, though I'm sure they bear on displacement for licensing and insurance purposes.

Hull mfgr'rs can play with these numbers as they wish, making their boat seem 'heavier' to others in its class, if that segment of the market is looking for a heavy boat, perhaps mistakenly believing that means an inherently 'strong hull'.

My old 25' hull was advertised at a 1750 'dry weight', but all rigged for tuna (less fuel & ice) and she weighed 3-tons wet! Now that included all of my safety, fishing, repair, docking/anchoring and supply gear always stowed and carried, plus my personal gear bag that I'd always carry with me regardless of which or who's boat I'm on.

But that's a HUGE difference in payload, 2-tons ... :shock: ! I personally think their dry weight was the weight of the hull, maybe with cleats and other deck/stock items (like if it had a livewell, the well was there), but ready to rig for power and accessories.

IMHO, frp boats many years weighed heavier if just counting the hull, as the layups were much thicker. Newer boats (to me) have much thinner laminates, but weights seem heavier, as I know believe their weighing the rigged "average equipped vessel", less maybe the motor weight itself (some hulls have 1 or 2 OB options).

Knowing the 'real' hull wright for towing, can be a hassle ... unless you get on a scale, buy by then it can be too late, for your tow vehicle selection.

Latest posts