Shortest welded boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg1

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a redundant topic but I couldnt find the info with a search. Who makes the shortest jon boat that is completely welded? I am looking for a small jon boat to use in creeks and on rivers with my kids but dont want anything rivetted because I do have to cross the occasional choppy patch.

Thanks,
Greg

Welcome Greg !!
Welcome Aboard.jpg

you did not mention if you are looking to buy new or used - do you have a budget ?
how old are your kids ?

Comparing the welded vs riveted boats is like the Ford vs Chevy arena.
it all depends on how it was taken care of and used, should you purchase a used one.
"the occasional choppy patch" will not affect a riveted boat in the least bit.
I had a 1032 G3 all welded Jon for two days . . . VERY tipsy !!!
so while you are looking for the short model, pay particular
attention to the bottom width..... as well as the capacity tag. (more wider = more stable).
a beginning start would be to calculate your weight, weight of any
passengers, batteries, fuel, motor, ice chest etc etc etc
so you will know what the "cargo weight" will be when you do find
something desireable. also - why do you need the "shortest" made ?
storage issues, transporting in a truck bed, etc . . . .
G3 Capacity tag.JPG

If a jon boat, I'd look at the bass tracker 1048.

Because of the choppy water, I'd look at some of the Australian tinnies. Short, fat, deep, and uber-seaworthy! Spendy though

Thank you for the warm welcome guys.

A couple answers. My boys are 6 and 3 and I am leaning towards a new boat that my boys can hang on to for a long time. Primary uses will be light fishing, crabbing, and the occasional duck hunt. There are lots of oyster beds in South Carolina but I do not plan on using it to oyster from.

I didn't realize there was rivalry between welded and riveted. I hope I'm not starting a war but I've been told by a few people that over time the riveted seams will separate and leak.

Short and wide would be ideal for storage purposes.

Thanks for the info so far.

I have had a 1959 rivited V hull with a 25hp Johnson on it since new
and we have been in some pretty gnarley stuff - and to this day, no leaks.

on the other hand, I bought a 3rd owner 1959 Lone Star riveted V hull that had
seen a lot of salt water - and I may have to replace every rivet in it.

My father was a die-hard Ford man.... Ford dealership mechanic for
over 20 years. my two younger brothers share his DNA for Ford.
for me, I have never owned a Ford in my life !! and never will.
I will stick by my Dodge Ram any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

so - again - for a used boat, riveted or welded, it all depends on how
any of the previous owners used them and took care of them.
welds can crack - rivets can leak: it is like "choose your poison".
unless you go the New off the Showroom route - then you have the warranty.
a lot of members here find that riveted boats are easier to make alterations
with than the welded hulls. (something to consider if you are going to modify it).

and my Dos Centavos would be to go to a 12 or 14 foot . . . before you know it,
you will have two grown men with you in that boat !!!!!

Duck hunting is not done under the most favorable conditions, for your boys sake, pick a boat like the Alweld Crawdad series or any number of custom boat builders.

There was a father and son locally that drown last season going duck hunting, the boat was a small low side aluminum flat bottom in the 10-12' range.

Here's my custom 1244

1845e202f156d5b6da2f95aaeef36d98.jpg

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

Darryle said:
Duck hunting is not done under the most favorable conditions, for your boys sake, pick a boat like the Alweld Crawdad series or any number of custom boat builders.

There was a father and son locally that drown last season going duck hunting, the boat was a small low side aluminum flat bottom in the 10-12' range.

Here's my custom 1244

1845e202f156d5b6da2f95aaeef36d98.jpg

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead
. Cool boat! Speaking from experience, 3 people in a 14' jon on a big lake gets real small, real quick. I have been on a big lake in a 12' alumacraft with me and another fella' and i was personally nervous the whole time. If you hug banks and the water is calm its not....not doable, but if you cut out across dealimg with ski boat wakes it can be a little un nerving. To me a 10' jon is a pond or shallow creek boat. Tippy dosent really begin to describe it if the two people in it arent both on the same page. Duck hunting is incrediably dangerous on big water. Me and my buddies went out to somerville 3 years ago in a 16' alumacraft in 20 mph wind, breaking ice trying to make it to the blind, and though an experience in life... i'll never do that again. If we would have gone south there is NO WAY, we would have been able to swim to the shore before going down. Everyone has their own opinions, but ima vote for at least 16-17' if u plan on big water. 14 for small lakes, creeks, and calm rivers..... my opinion of course :)

Welcome, Greg. As you can see, there are many opinions as to the right boat.

I went back and read your first post, which stated that your main reason for a shorter boat was storage. I've battled that conundrum on many occasions.

It just happened that my wife and I had ANOTHER discussion about boat storage this week. I am debating keeping my present 1652 G3, or buying a bigger, nicer boat.

However, in either case, neither my present nor any future boat.... will fit in my too-short garage. Outside storage is not allowed here.

With the wisdom of putting up with me for 57 years...she said.."just go find a "boat barn storage" place for the Winter. Pay the money, but have the boat that you want."

She often "cuts to the chase" in these types of discussion. Should I have the boat that I want, that is safer, fishes better, tows better and pay for storage...or should I have a smaller, less safe, less equipped for what I want to do boat...to save the storage costs?

I suggest you consider those very same factors in your choice of craft. Your kids WILL grow; you will be safer in a larger boat, and your choice of fishing/crabbing locations will be multiplied.

Hope you find what you want.

regards, and welcome aboard, richg99

Latest posts