1984 Sea Nymph Muskie transom repair, what is this stuff ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctboater

Reaction score
I have a transom issue on my boat. It was starting to do this before I bought the boat, there is some type of substance that is sandwiched between the plywood and the skin of the boat. When it was wet it was soft and "gelatinous" and was expanding putting a bump on the transom. Now that it has dried it is hard and can be crumbled pretty easily. At this spot the plywood is in fine shape with no rot. My guess is it was a factory thing maybe to protect the plywood from rotting. Has anyone seen this before and know what it is ? I've looked through the forum and don't see any mention of it.

Attachments

• DSCN0661 (1).JPG
    DSCN0661 (1).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,029
wow - thats bad.
you really won't know anything until you get all the transom wood completely out.
and to err on the side of caution - remove all the paint on both sides of the transom metal.
then - ponder over your options:
depends on how much you like that boat.
how much time and effort are you willing to put into it.
what is the end result for the visual effect . . . look like new ???
also - if it is that bad on the starboard side - what will the port side look like ??
repairs can range from putting some HVAC aluminum foil tape over it to
pop-riveting (or solid rivets) a scab over it with the appropriate adhesive sealer (3M-5200) to
cutting out the cancer and weld in a new patch - grind smooth, prime and paint.
cutting out the cancer and epoxy some glass cloth over it on both sides - sand smooth, prime and paint.

DSCN0661 %281%29.jpg
if it is that bad on the starboard side - what will the port side look like ??

Rot ro ... but while no wood rot, I'd bet $$ that was a saltwater boat and the untreated (as in not coated, and I do not mean PT wood) and the transom wood got wet. Add wetness, heat, and salt led to chloride precipitate corrosion on the boat in a really, really bad way.

If if were mine, I'll pull and replace the wood and would only use epoxy coated wood.

It looks like there's another spot brewing up above the handle.

DaleH said:
Rot ro ... but while no wood rot, I'd bet $$ that was a saltwater boat and the untreated (as in not coated, and I do not mean PT wood) and the transom wood got wet. Add wetness, heat, and salt led to chloride precipitate corrosion on the boat in a really, really bad way.

If if were mine, I'll pull and replace the wood and would only use epoxy coated wood.

It looks like there's another spot brewing up above the handle.
Yes it is a salt water boat, and I'm sure it is the original wood. I bought it from a guy on Long Island and spend most of my time on it in Long Island Sound. Between yesterday and today I've got it all taken apart and ready to clean up. The port side wasn't quite as the starboard side. The wood is still very solid but I'm going to put new wood and coat it with epoxy. I plan to epoxy/paint the bare aluminum where I can also. I'll post some photo's later. Thanks for your response.

Johnny said:
wow - thats bad.
you really won't know anything until you get all the transom wood completely out.
and to err on the side of caution - remove all the paint on both sides of the transom metal.
then - ponder over your options:
depends on how much you like that boat.
how much time and effort are you willing to put into it.
what is the end result for the visual effect . . . look like new ???
also - if it is that bad on the starboard side - what will the port side look like ??
repairs can range from putting some HVAC aluminum foil tape over it to
pop-riveting (or solid rivets) a scab over it with the appropriate adhesive sealer (3M-5200) to
cutting out the cancer and weld in a new patch - grind smooth, prime and paint.
cutting out the cancer and epoxy some glass cloth over it on both sides - sand smooth, prime and paint.

if it is that bad on the starboard side - what will the port side look like ??

Thanks for your response also Johnny. It is contained to these areas and once it is back together I'll make a couple plates to cover the damage from the outside, maybe .100 thick or so. I'll do the two the same to somewhat match the shape of the transom so maybe it will look kind of look like they belong there, as much as possible anyway.