Plastic Gas Tank Repair . . . Possible?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT

Reaction score
I have this plastic gas tank that has a "seepage" style leak that was rubbed into a lower corner.
Is there anything I might have on hand that could stop the seepage?
Saw gas tank sealers online but they were intended just for metal tanks.
A thick coating of something on a bottom inside corner would do the trick. The leak isn't even a pinhole.
If not, has anyone tried plastic welding?

Attachments

• KartTank.jpg
    KartTank.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 414
I repaired a HDPE gas tank on a garden cultivator with the
Permatex product. . . . . it is a one part black silicone type of
product in a small tube that specifically says "For Plastic Gas Tanks"
on the tube . . . that was 4 years ago and is still holding strong.

look up "plastic welding" on YouTube - lots of tutorials there.

oh - what caused the leak you ask ??
it seems that some plastic gas tanks are made with soy oil . . .
which is detectable by squirrels that will chew the heck out
of any plastic product that contains soy oil.

I have a plastic welder that I have used on a few occasions. It does an excellent job for what I have used it for. There are different rods for different plastic types. Basically you just heat up your plastic you are trying to fix as you feed the plastic welding rod into heated up mixture. You have to know what type of plastic you are dealing with and use the correct rod for that plastic. Different plastics use different temperature settings to get the desired effect. If your job is a small pinhole as you state and there seems to be enough plastic in the area to spread it out without getting too thin in spots you may want to just heat it up and smear a little across the hole or thin spot. That said, being a gas tank make sure your tank is empty and degassed before putting heat to it. Make sure it is vented before applying any heat to it also.

I used some JB weld on a plastic tank in a expedition, I roughed up the surface and it held for 4 years .Was still holding before it got wrecked. It was seeping gas like you say your tank is doing. The JB weld worked

Latest posts