Do I need to paint the inside of my boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmshoemaker

Reaction score
I'm starting the process of bringing a 1981 (or so) PolarKraft back to life, and much of the paint, inside and out, is peeling, oxidized and otherwise done for. I am planning on decking, installing a floor and carpeting most of it, so I was wondering if there was any point in painting the inside. Is there any structural/preservation benefit?

in my world, I would at least roll on a coat of aluminum primer.
or - some kind of exterior oil base mildew/mold deterrent primer.
there is a lot of funky wet air that gets trapped under the floorboards.
not only will it facilitate in premature deteriation of the wood (if used)
it "could" start a corrosion cycle that you do not want.

jus my Dos Centavos

Consider swapping out carpet for marine vinyl. Vinyl sheds water better, doesn't hold water and will last 20-30 years. FWIW the vinyl on my 1997 boat, left out fully in the weather on a mooring from May - Oct (no full cover, as I only cover the seats & helm) still looks great!

A good washing in the Spring with a stiff bristled brush and good detergent and it cleaned and brightened right up!

Attachments

• IMG_0478.PNG
    IMG_0478.PNG
    485.8 KB · Views: 841
Order marine vinyl from Defender Marine and I bet you have it 2-3 days later!

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C2276179%7C2276198%7C2276202&id=23740

I recently stripped the floor out of my Crestliner, and am installing new decks. The decks were dryrot damaged, but the only corrosion in the 20 year old boat were some bare aluminum reinforcement plates under the seat locations. Everything going back in will have a decent coat paint or varnish if it is not stainless steel.