Marine Carpet Over Spar Varnish? What Adhesive?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a 14' Aluminum boat I am making a small casting deck on the front. I have a piece of marine plywood and I am in the process of putting 3 coats of spar varnish to seal the plywood. What adhesive should I use over the spar varnish to ensure it sticks to the rubber backed marine carpet?

I called Roberts about their 6700 adhesive and they told me it wouldn't adhere to the spar varnish. I then called DAP about their Weldwood Outdoor Carpet Adhesive and they told me the same. But from what I have read, it seems like people used these exact adhesives in the exact scenario and haven't had issues.

I was also thinking of just using a staple gun to get the carpet in place. Any thoughts on that? I understand might allow water to get into the plywood over time. If I can get 2-3 years out of this then I'll be happy and can redo it after that.

I'd like to put adhesive on the top, and then staple it underneath.

I have read about people using outdoor carpet adhesive over the spar vanish and having no issues. Anyone here done that?

Whatever Homedepot sells at outdoor carpet glue is what I used. It's been on there about a year and seems to be working. I did use spray contact glue on the edges of both the wood and aluminum parts but for most of the big pieces it was the outdoor carpet glue. I guess only time will tell.
Just a quick note, my boat gets stored outside but always with a cover on it. I do get caught in the rain now and then while fishing but I always try to make sure it dries before I cover it.
It's been through a summer, a fall, a winter, and now a spring so like I said, only time will tell. Here is a link to my restore.
https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42028

I know for a fact that 3m super 90 works. Just make sure the varnish is cured before applying ANY kind of adhesive.

Latest posts