Floatation pod weight offset

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckmaster27012

Reaction score
got 18 ft boat with 115 motor and looking at float pods but looking for input on weight offset. already got boat setup with 18 gallon gas tank and 1 or 2 batteries under front deck, and 30 gallon bait tank close to front deck as possible. the back of boat only has motor and 1 battery. by adding pods i'm just wondering would it offer much help since i've got this setup because most people you hear talk about trying to offset weight with pods i'm just wondering if i'm done about as much as the pods could do. dont want to hurt performance by installing or cause another issue.

What kind of boat? What kind of water is it used on? Pods are a no go on any salt water or bodies of water that get huge barge traffic or large waves. They waves will sink you if they hit you from behind. They will broach you in a following sea. Even the tiny trim tab companies tell you to raise them all of the way in those conditions. I could not imagine many or any boat needing pods unless all you do is pole fish calm skinny water and have a second boat for....boating.

mainly river fish with an occasional lake trip but its not terrible out there. no option on moving weight back around as gas tank is mounted under deck and nowhere in back to put batteries or bait tank. probably best to leave it like it is because i did some measuring and looks like only have room for small pods and still would hardly leave any room to mount fish finder transducer.

Pods will definitely help raise the back of the boat some and prevent it from sinking further when weight is shifted to the rear, like when you stand at the rear to fish. Basically the amount of floatation pods, or any device that is used for floatation is equal to the amount of water they displace. If the pod displaces say, 1 gallon of water then they provide 8.33 pounds of offset buoyancy. The amount of buoyancy that is advertised however assumes total submersion and that is usually not the case, or at least it shouldn't be or else you really do need them.