Introduction - New member and new boat owner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescotty

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought this boat from my brother-in-law yesterday:
IMG_20170601_195528596.jpg
IMG_20170601_195601724.jpg
I believe it's a Rich Line Challenger, 14', I think built in 1971. It has a 1955 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 hp motor.

My BIL said he rebuilt the carburetor last year and it was running okay then.

Needs some general fixing up, but it appears that all the important stuff is in good shape.

My plan is to replace the tops of the bench seats and get it workable for fishing with my family. I've got 6 kids, ages 3 months to 9 years (we won't all be on the boat at the same time!), so I see many good years of use from this. I'll be using it mostly on a small state reservoir nearby, Hillsdale Lake in Kansas.

I've been reading through various posts here in the last few days in anticipation of getting the boat. I know I'll have plenty of questions about it as I work through it. Just wanted to say hi!

Scott

Nice boat! I'd love to find one like that that has not been cut up, cobbled up and painted. A seat swap with finished ply wood from a home store and some varnish will have it looking like new. Watch your max capacity weight limit. They are not a suggestion like most warnings. In a boat you go by that number. Period. How is the transom wood?

I noticed the weight rating said 4 - 150 lb passengers (or 850 lbs well distributed for persons, motor, and gear). I guess my 50-60 lb kids will help offset my 255 lbs. :)
The transom wood seems to be in good shape, although it doesn't seem to be really protected with anything.

Scott

Welcome applescotty....:) This place is full of information and will help you get her looking good and running top notch.

Latest posts