Best source for Bimini top

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishjunky

Reaction score
I took my 2.5 year old fishing today for the first time... he did great, but got hot so we had to fish in the shade which really limits my options. So I'm looking for a 4 bow Bimini. ~60" beam. 54" or so tall. Who has the best deal out there?

Thanks

Bimini tops are notoriously bad for trying to fish under. The rods and straps are always in the way. A canopy made from these conduit fittings allows you to fish very easily and it stores in a small bag on the floor of the boat when not in use (instead of blocking up the entire end of the boat) and it's very inexpensive:

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

If you're interested I'll show you where to get the parts.

If you Google Marine T-tops you will see that most all the tops on center console fish boats used in the salt are made like the Shaugh top above. Check your local Craigslist for Bimini tops if that's what you think will still work. Places like West Marine stock all of the fittings, clips ect to fix them up and mount them. They are pretty universal as long as the mounting width is within a few inches. You can also look at and buy a universal top at West.

Shaugh said:
Bimini tops are notoriously bad for trying to fish under. The rods and straps are always in the way. A canopy made from these conduit fittings allows you to fish very easily and it stores in a small bag on the floor of the boat when not in use (instead of blocking up the entire end of the boat) and it's very inexpensive:

View attachment 1

If you're interested I'll show you where to get the parts.

Shaugh, this looks amazing!

I hate all the straps involved with a Bimini, but I was willing to accept it because taking the 2.5 year old with me greatly increases my opportunities to get on the water.

Please send me all the info/pictures you can on your top.

I've bought from these guys before. There are also other sellers on Ebay. 1" conduit is the best choice for strength.

https://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fittings-1-Inch-s/7.htm

First step would be how to reinforce the center seat to be strong enough to support the foot pads. boat seat tops are very thin and soft, so you need to beef up the area you will mount these to. When the canopy poles are mounted it's a very long lever, so it needs to be strong.

https://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fitting-1-Foot-Pad-p/2255.htm

This could be as simple as adding a 3/4" plywood topper to the seat and then reinforcing that with angle brackets to the side of the boat. Not sure about your abilities in that regard. Do you understand what I'm describing ? Save the photo above to your computer and then blow up the area where the footpads are.

If you are most concerned with shade and less about fishing, it's also very easy to just make something like this.

IMG_20170420_134200413.jpg

If you make it like this you can use very lightweight 3/4" tube and fittings. You also would be much less worried about reinforcing seat tops. Let me know what works best for you and I'll talk you through how to do it.

If you just wanted to make a shaded area for your child you could also consider something as simple as this:

IMG_1725_zpsdebaa22f.jpg

Thanks so much man. The one on the boat tied up the the dock would work best for me I think. There is no center seat in my boat.

It looks like it would be easy to make a canopy frame with those fittings. How is it attached to the gunnels though?

On that boat I used 4 oar locks. I think it would be easier for you to use the foot pads. Just put 2 on the front seat and 2 on the back. It needs to be square so they will need to maintain the same distance apart front and back.

To do that you need four 3 way corners and 4 footpads. Unless you're really concerned about cost and making it as light as possible I'd stick with 1" conduit.

The top is simply a tarp that's wrapped around and hooked with bungee cords. If you have the ability to sew things, it's easy to make a top with pockets on the ends for the rails to slide through. First thing is to make the framework. Then get the measurements to design the top.

Wow, I have a real bimini and can concur, it's a bear to fish under! Especially when I am trolling 9' rods with leadcore line. Cast fishing, forget about it. All I can add is that my bimini top is from Carver and it's really fantastic quality. Was about a $330 setup and it's only a 2 bow. 4 bow is probably going to be no less than $500.

Really like the options shown above! Can they take any speed? I need to be able to travel at least 20mph with mine. I don't think I can take it down and put it back up 5-10 times a day without going crazy.

The T top on the green boat can handle 22 mph and gusty winds no problem. You really do need to focus on the mountings though and get them very strong. The double uprights are also essential.

The T top is best for fishing. The top on the boat at the dock was a quick solution before a trip. I'm already working on making that more of a T style.

fishjunky said:
I took my 2.5 year old fishing today for the first time... he did great, but got hot so we had to fish in the shade which really limits my options. So I'm looking for a 4 bow Bimini. ~60" beam. 54" or so tall. Who has the best deal out there?

Thanks
Hey FishJunky!

My name is Shannon with Boat Covers Direct, and we offer USA Made Bimini tops by Carver Industries, as mentioned by other awesome TinBoat members! :D

I've pulled a link to the size Bimini top that you've described:

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/pr..._dimensions/length/96/height/54/widths/54-60/

This is a 4 bow top with dimensions of: 8' long from front to back, 54" tall from the mounting point, and will comfortably mount between 54-60" wide. Will that work for you? We have quite a few other sizes as well, so let me know if you need to change any of these dimensions.

Here is an image showing a 4 bow top mounted on a jon boat:

4-bow-round-tube-bimini-top-48in-height.jpg

LDUBS is exactly right, we offer TB Members an additional 10% discount off the online prices, so give me a call, send me an email, or reply back through this thread when you're ready to order or if you have any other questions.

Thanks
Shannon with Boat Covers Direct
1-866-626-8377
[email protected]

I'll admit I have no experience with bimini tops, however, I would like to get one as well. If I were to go with a traditional bimini rather than the awesome homemade ideas others have presented I would want one that had some sort of sliding track option. For fishing with a single young child, I would think placing the bimini as far back as possible would create shade for cruising. That would leave the bow deck free to fish from (if it will hold you both) and then have a shady area to take breaks under. If you fish in current and/or anchor you could then slide the bimini towards the bow and fish off of the rear deck.

Shaugh's T-top looks appealing, I try to hide like a troll from the sun when I can & I'd rather not be taking my son out and having to slother him up with sunscreen. I would want a setup that was steady while using the outboard at speed though.

It's surprising that somebody in the boat business hasn't picked up on the idea for marketing an affordable T top system. It's as steady as you want to make it. There's fittings for 1.5" conduit too... You could probably make a single upright with that and be able to go 40 mph.. As long as you reinforce the footpads sufficiently there should be no limit to the possibilities.

onthewater102 said:
Shaugh's T-top looks appealing, I try to hide like a troll from the sun when I can & I'd rather not be taking my son out and having to slother him up with sunscreen. I would want a setup that was steady while using the outboard at speed though.

I've been through the skin C thing and don't want to do it again. I use copious amounts of sun screen even with the top up.

I have a custom made "quick release" for my bimini top so I can quickly get it out of the way when landing a larger fish. Instead of snapping the rear straps to the gunnel, I connect only one side with a loop of velcro between the hook and strap eye. If I need to get it out of the way, I pull the velcro and push it forward. Nothing really fancy, but gets the job done.

Shaugh said:
It's surprising that somebody in the boat business hasn't picked up on the idea for marketing an affordable T top system. It's as steady as you want to make it. There's fittings for 1.5" conduit too... You could probably make a single upright with that and be able to go 40 mph.. As long as you reinforce the footpads sufficiently there should be no limit to the possibilities.
T-Tops are only $255 to $309 with free shipping unless you want 1 1/2" aluminum that is strong enough to mount radios, lights, antenna and rod holders. https://www.ebay.com/bhp/boat-t-top
I live in AZ and we get constant year round sun. I wear a full brim Tilly hat and long sleeves shits even if it's 113 degrees. Exposed skin is too hot but you can hang out all day in the sun if it's not hitting your skin. Buy the good ones at REI, Eddie Bowers, Cabellas ect. Keul brand of pants from REI are what I use for long pants at the sand dunes or long days in the sun. All are pricy but I will actually wear it. The bass tards here were ski masks to cover their whole heads. The aresol sun screen is only expensive until you use it. Cream is grease. Aresol dries to nothing. I only use it on my legs with shorts. Feet get covered by these. https://www.astraldesigns.com/shop/footwear/unisex/rassler-unisex Most other water shoes are a plastic gimmick. "There is no such thing as bad weather only bad gear". Sun gear is as important as having Gortex. But yes there are fools that don't buy it either. Good...They stay home.

Thanks, I had not seen those inexpensive models. I was thinking they were all over $500. I'm too stingy though... even $300 seems like a lot compared to about $ 60 for a conduit version that collapses into a storage bag.

I think with a little more effort you could make one that was near identical to those by bending the uprights and using radius corners:
https://www.garvinindustries.com/fittings/emt-elbows/emt-90-degree-conduit-elbows/emt-10090

Doh... another project....

Latest posts