mounting a bimini top

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smidge

Reaction score
I have a 14ft valco v hull that came with a Bimini when I bought it. Today I have started to try and mock it up.
Does this look like it is mounted the correct way?
If i fold down the back supports and put the top down towards the stern i would not be able to control the motor, or use my rod holders.
If i fold it up to the bow, it sits right above the front bench.
The top is also a bit wider than the boat when folded, is this normal?
Maybe i should sell this one and get a smaller one?

fRxM2L0m.jpg

Fh3vn7Qm.jpg

v6jNBE3m.jpg

Smaller was what I was thinking. I'm happy with this: https://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/mf70/Boat/Tinboat/20160611_094731_zpskwoo9aj5.jpg

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

OK, my eyesight might be deceiving me here, but it looks like you have a brace kit on your bimini top. Normally the "rear" strut going down to the gunnel towards the rear of the boat is a strap. On yours it is a rigid tube -- at least that is what it looks like to me. If so, the purpose is to fold the top back so that it stays up and out of the way. I have tried to post an image below to let you see what I'm talking about. If you want to fold it flat, I would eliminate the rear down brace and replace with a strap. That just makes it easier to take up and down. You can add some short tracks to the gunnel for the connect point so that you could slide it back or forward as you want to meet your needs. Hope this helps some. BTW, my bimini is the same width as the boat's widest beam, but wider than that part of the boat is sits on when folded forward. Doesn't cause an issue to me.

Attachments

• bimini-top-brace-kit-375x154.jpg
    bimini-top-brace-kit-375x154.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,030
My old 16' Valco had the Bimini folding to the rear. Yes it was in the way. It's not really made to be like a convertabl top I guess.

Tough to stow on small boats, a compromise all the way around at best! I'd get slide tracks and would move it forward when stowed, as far as practical.

I added one to my 16' console skiff and positioned the main attachment point so it folds just in front of the OB without interfering w/ OB operation, trimming or tilting all the way up. Worked out nice.

smidge said:
Where can I get sliders?

Search "Bimini Top Hardware Slide Track" at the Cabelas site. This will at least give you an idea of the concept. There are all kinds of similar track-style products out there. I know them more commonly as "T-Tracks" (from a woodworking perspective).

That bimini is just too big for that little tin in my opinion. You will discover that a bimini top is a thing that you hate to love. It's a royal PITA unless you are actually using it. Like Dale said, it's a compromise at best.

I use one fairly regularly on my 15' Klamath. I have to agree, they can be a pain on a small boat, particularly when landing a fish. I use a piece of velcro between the snap and snap eye to make a quick release for when I need to get the top out of the way quickly.

Latest posts