Thoughts on replacing bench seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescotty

Reaction score
I need to replace the tops of my bench seats:
IMG_20170601_195624043.jpg

While I could go with plywood, I think solid wood would look a little nicer and not be much more work. I was maybe thinking pine, glued up and cut to the right size, then treated with Old Timer's Formula and then spar urethane.

Currently, the boat is going to live outside, not under cover, although I may try to finagle some room in the barn for it.

Any thoughts on this?

Scott

Scott - where are you from ?
do you have access to cypress or white cedar ?
both are very good choices for above the waterline applications.
although the cedar is a bit soft and dents easily.
both look really nice when properly finished for exterior use.
this is how you could use 3/4" BDX plywood with 1/8 - 1/4" cypress or cedar veneer.
veneer.jpg
7.JPG
new transom 1.JPG

if you go with any clear natural wood finish, be aware that it is a maintenance item.
the varnish (not uretahne) must be applied in a thin coat every year for the
proper UV protection. minimum of 6 coats before installation.
of course you can always use a nice plywood with a stain of your choice and
finished the same way..... I would epoxy the end grain heavily prior to varnish.
Less maintenance if you go with the painted finish.

I've done this before with the stair treads that they sell at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-1-2-x-48-in-Red-Oak-Stair-Tread-8430R-048-HD00L/202088436

Hmm, that stair tread idea seems promising.

Western Red Cedar is what is commonly used around here for rot proof wood, so that might work well instead of the white cedar or cypress.

Scott

they sell less expensive pine too. The 1" thickness gives it a quality look... 3/4" board looks thin imo.

I suppose that's where Jonnys' suggestion of laminating the solid wood onto plywood would help, it would give a thicker seat.

But maybe painting them would be the way to go, for something that needs less maintenance. Maybe a nice blue oil based paint. If I'm going to do that, I could laminate 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood, fill and sand the edges, and paint.

Scott

applescotty said:
I suppose that's where Jonnys' suggestion of laminating the solid wood onto plywood would help, it would give a thicker seat.

But maybe painting them would be the way to go, for something that needs less maintenance. Maybe a nice blue oil based paint. If I'm going to do that, I could laminate 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood, fill and sand the edges, and paint.

Scott

If it were me, I would use 3/4 Ply and seal and/or paint it. Then, get out on the water with the kids and enjoy! I would avoid laminating solid glued up panels to a plywood backing. The glue-ups will expand/contract with changes in weather. The plywood won't.

I think I will go with just painted plywood.
Thanks, everyone, for hashing this out with me, or at least letting me think out loud. :)

Scott

You can easily improve the plywood's appearance by adding a 3/4" quarter round to the front and back edges. They will give you a nice round top corner and hide the plywood edge. It will probably be less work than trying to sand and fill the plywood:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kelleher-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-Douglas-Fir-Quarter-Round-Moulding-F332/100321742

Attach them with epoxy and small countersunk screws.

Thanks, I think that would make them look nice. And probably make them a little more comfortable. Save me the trouble of filling any voids in the plywood edges, too.

Scott

Latest posts