Support for door(s) on boat decK?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So since I'm asking this question,, I've obviously not super handy lol.

I'm making a deck on my 14' Vhull. At the front I'm going to cut a door for the trolling motor battery. My question is.. since it will be cut, what can I do to make the door sturdy enough for me to walk/stand on? I'm sure it's fairly simple.. I just can't figure it out. Thanks guys

some photos of what you have will help the gallery help you.

you can find many find builds by using the "search" function
in the top right corner. "hatch support" "hatch build" etc etc
will get you started in the right direction.
again, it depends what you are trying to do with what you have.
p h o t o s

note: in a "V" hull, you can't just put a battery up front - you must
fabricate a solid and level floor for it to sit on and strap it down.
the battery will will take more bumping around up front than in the back.

Depending on how large and how often your "door/hatch" is stepped on...you may be able to get away with some 2x3 cleats affixed all around the opening.

On your opening...add 2x3 pieces of wood or aluminum all around...with one inch of the 2x3 material extending into the opening.

That one inch provides support for the "door/hatch". Does that make sense?

Or, you can buy some pretty fancy and waterproof hatch covers. Cut the opening; screw the hatch cover on...and you are done.

Overton's is one place to find replacement hatches. richg99

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Sure-Seal-13-x-24-Access-Hatch-Non-Locking-Black&i=82699&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3832363939&s_kwcid=adwords__&gclid=CjwKEAjwvMnJBRCO2NSu-Puc6AUSJAAf-OSUkVOwkucSckPrQ90BFojl3JLRz9ali97I82Tj4ELCoBoClVfw_wcB

82699_L1.JPG

I decided to get a 1x3 piece of wood. I'm going to run it under the deck 2" and keep 1" for the door. Make a pilot hole in deck through the 1x3 and secure it with machine bolts. She make the door plenty sturdy all the way around. I'll post pics when I'm done.