Best way to attach floor supports

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbroberson21

Reaction score
First off I want to apologize for probably not spending as much time searching as I should, but I need some quick answers because I'm currently out of town for work and have several metal suppliers near by so I can save a lot on shipping if I make up my mind before I leave here Tuesday morning.

All that being said, here is what im working on. I have a loweline 1648 that I want to add a floor to. I have a lot of other plans for this boat that I'll be posting about later, but for now I want to floor between the middle and rear bench. From what I've read 1/16 inch aluminum will be ok for the floor it self since it will be supported by foam (If I'm wrong there please correct me). I want to add some type of tubing between the floor and the existing support ribs running perpendicular to them to allow a channel to run steering cables from My center console, and later from my front steering stick for my kicker. I also want the floor to provide some support against the twisting the hull currently does.

As of now im planning to use 1x2 tubing to give my self plenty of room for the cables, and because 2 inch foam is easily available. My real question is, what is the best way to attach the tubing (or whatever supports I use) to the existing floor ribs. I have an aluminum welder, but I'm not sure welding is the best answer here. I've also thought about pop rivets and drilling an access hole in the top of the tubing, but i don't know of a gun that could reach through the 2 inch tubing. My other idea, and the one I'm planning to use unless I'm given a better idea here is drilling an access hole in the top and using a sheet metal screw through the bottom of the tubing to the floor ribs. I'm not absolutely set on the tubing, if there would be an option for a c channel or something that would allow rivets if that would be a better choice.

After doing some reading today about removing seats, the answer to this hit me in the face. Hat channel instead of tubing. Should have been obvious since that's what I'm attaching it to.

Latest posts