55lb Bow Mount Minn Kota Edge - How Many Bolts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I mounted my 55lb bow mount Minn Kota Edge this evening. Minn Kota sends out 6 bolts for the install. However just due to the way it all lined up, I was able to install 5 of the 6. I have read about people using 4 and some even 3. I was just curious what you guys thought? Am I safe with 5? I have it bolted into a 3/4" piece of carpet plywood which goes over the bow which has a small aluminum plate under it. 3 bolts go into the wood and aluminum plate while two just go into the wood. Let me know your thoughts.

i have 6 on mine, they go thru a piece of eva foam, 3/4 ply the actual alum mount and then a pc of 3/4 ply. i have the 55# minn kota and i hate it. just dont like the shaft lenght. the stoe and deploy is also touchy. u think for a 500$ tm it would be better. the sheath on the cable pulled out of the head just recently.12volts really limits ur options.i might go with a 45# next. mine is 5 yrs old and is probably getting close to the end of its life.

I purchased my Crestliner in 1999 with a 55# Motorguide installed. The shop only installed 4 bolts to the bow deck. That little bow deck was attached to the boat with only 6 - #8 sheet metal screws into light aluminum angles. I think the 4 bolts had more holding power than the deck.
And the motor was near perfect for 16 years. Started clunking a little in the steering, so a bushing was about to be replaced, but the motor disappeared.

Four fasteners would be fine, especially if they were 1/4" bolts or #14 screws. Realistically, the fasteners will never sweat the load they see from the force of the TM running and pushing/pulling the boat. The time they will see the highest load is if you run the motor into the ground or rocks and in most cases, whatever they are attaching to will fail before the fastener itself does.