8hp Honda or 9.9hp 2stroke?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finstr said:
Is there any advantage in horse power/torque with switching to a 2-stroke engine?
From any other brand but Honda? - Maybe not too much to make worthwhile ...

From a Honda 4-stroke? - Ohhh, heck yes!

Personally I've never seen a small HP Honda that was anything but a dog! My brother has a 5hp, that looks like new, as it was so slow on his skiff that he doesn't use it. We had an 8hp that was an absolute dog - heavy and no power ... cannot believe it was rated at 8hp!

And now in the infinite wisdom of collective reasoning that only rivals the STUPID decision(s) made by Congress, the dear leaders of my boatclub bought a new Honda 15hp, simply for the electric start feature. Dog? Try as in a DEAD dog! It is soooooooooooo **** stern heavy that when raced along side the identical J12 Carolina Skiff, the skiff with the 10hp Johnson beats it hands down!

Less you think "I'm anti-Honda", it is only their small 4-strokes that I despise. Many of my fishing buddies have the 90 or 130hp class motors and they've been very reliable and fairly bulletproof (less injectors).

Well the libtards certainly have invaded some areas! There are a few lakes in the southern parts that have no gas engines allowed on them. But there is 100,000 lakes in Ontario so I'm sure there's enough water for every boat.

PS Thanx for the feedback Dale. I just might pick that 9.9 up and try it out. I was always led to believe that the Hondas were the cats meow. Now I'm seeing that maybe I was misled for all these years.

DaleH said:
finstr said:
Stumpalump said:
Can you run an old two stroke on Canadian lakes?

Yes of course. Why do you ask?
Maybe he thought some Californians invaded Canada and took over ...

California has plenty of craziness for sure. But, California does not ban use of 2-strokes across the board. California Air Resources Board (CARB) uses a one to three star pollution rating for outboards. The ratings were tied to standards starting in 2001 (1-star) which were ratcheted up in 2006 (2-star) and again in 2008 (3-star). As of today, all new outboards sold in California must have a CARB 3-star rating. CARB's standards are more restrictive than ARB. It is perfectly OK to buy or sell an older 2-stroke. It is perfectly OK to use older 2-strokes on most lakes in California. A few drinking water lakes and Lake Tahoe restrict outboards to 2-star or better. A direct fuel injected 2-stroke can earn a 3 star, but these would be later models. For example, Mercury's OptiMax, has a CARB 3-Star rating. Same for other big outboard names.

Confusing to be sure, but after all, this is California.

finstr said:
Well the libtards certainly have invaded some areas! There are a few lakes in the southern parts that have no gas engines allowed on them. But there is 100,000 lakes in Ontario so I'm sure there's enough water for every boat.

PS Thanx for the feedback Dale. I just might pick that 9.9 up and try it out. I was always led to believe that the Hondas were the cats meow. Now I'm seeing that maybe I was misled for all these years.
The 8 Honda is so nice and smooth. It's quiet and sips gas. The two stroke is a little screamer in comparison. It will fly. If you don't like it then they resell easy. I just sold a johnson 6. Got 10 calls in a few days. First guy with cash got a nice motor. The 9.9 is just as nice. My old Honda 7.5 had a screen over the carb. I removed it and it ran a bit faster. They are sensitive to prop pitch as well so if you don't like the 9.9 for its crudeness you can tweek the Honda to max it out. I love Hondas and I love small OMC as well but they are different. If you are not running in the 20kph range then swap props for a lower pitch. Hondas can rev.

Stumpalump said:
finstr said:

The 8 Honda is so nice and smooth. It's quiet and sips gas. The two stroke is a little screamer in comparison. It will fly. If you don't like it then they resell easy. I just sold a johnson 6. Got 10 calls in a few days. First guy with cash got a nice motor. The 9.9 is just as nice. My old Honda 7.5 had a screen over the carb. I removed it and it ran a bit faster. They are sensitive to prop pitch as well so if you don't like the 9.9 for its crudeness you can tweek the Honda to max it out. I love Hondas and I love small OMC as well but they are different. If you are not running in the 20kph range then swap props for a lower pitch. Hondas can rev.
I will remove the screen for sure. I'm looking into a 7 pitch prop for it. The current prop is a 8-5/8
Is there a few more mods I can do to this Honda ?
How do I advance the ignition timing?

I'd like to raise the compression and put a race cam in it but I highly doubt that's an obtainable goal! Lol
Maybe a little spray of NO2 would perk it up....

Before you buy a prop see if the prop you have pushes your boat over 23 kph with a phone app or GPS.
It should run between 22.5 and 27.5 with your 8.625 prop. That's 4500-5500 rpm assuming 10% slip.
How slow is it? Got a picture of it? Is the cavitation plate even with the boat bottom? If not shim the motor with a block of wood. What weight are you hauling? Have you moved that weight around and fooled with the trim pin setting? What year is the motor? What's the boat? Max out what you have before buying props, motors or performing mods. Basically you start by setting up what you have for best performance and go from there. If its close to being there already then jump up to the two stroke. You will hate everything about it in comparison except that it will be a lot faster. Moding your Honda is a slippery slope that will yield way less than a properly setup boat will. I wet sanded an aluminum canoe this morning. Even the wife noticed that it was faster and coasted further.

I have moved stuff around and tried different pin settings. Works best on the first hole. The height of the cav plate is exactly at the hull bottom. The hull definitely has its fair share of deep scratches and dents from previous owner. Maybe I should paint the hull?

finstr said:
I have moved stuff around and tried different pin settings. Works best on the first hole. The height of the cav plate is exactly at the hull bottom. The hull definitely has its fair share of deep scratches and dents from previous owner. Maybe I should paint the hull?

Paint won't help and 320 grit sanding may lead to a mere smidge but every little bit helps. What year is your Honda? Some 8 and 9.9 were the same. 8hp were a 9.9 with a throttle stop that limited the carb from actually going wide open. Some 9.9 were just a restricted 15. Might be easy or it might need a carb or jet swap. Look at the parts books. My Evinrude 48hp runs #49 jet. The 60 ran #56 and ran 500 RPM higher. Same motor. Higher hp small Honda engines rate the power at a higher RPM as well. Mod that biatch!

Stumpalump said:
finstr said:

Paint won't help and 320 grit sanding may lead to a mere smidge but every little bit helps. What year is your Honda? Some 8 and 9.9 were the same. 8hp were a 9.9 with a throttle stop that limited the carb from actually going wide open. Some 9.9 were just a restricted 15. Might be easy or it might need a carb or jet swap. Look at the parts books. My Evinrude 48hp runs #49 jet. The 60 ran #56 and ran 500 RPM higher. Same motor. Higher hp small Honda engines rate the power at a higher RPM as well. Mod that biatch!
Yep I'm going to mod it. Been thinking about a small supercharger. Looked at an air pump from an old ford but there's no room for a belt to drive the pulley. But then I got thinking about an 18V leaf blower and a piece of vacuum hose to run to the carb. This could work I think. Hmmm

That should help a bunch!
Bawahawahawawahahahahaha

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think it might. We used to run nitrous oxide on the race car years ago but it requires a seperate fuel system to enrich the mixture. Ran it on snowmobiles and even a lawn mower.
I want to see if I can make something small and not too intrusive. The Ryobi 18v leaf blower has a 100mph air speed and should be able to push enough air to raise the compression pressure some.
Ignition advance is still a question tho.

Latest posts