Aluminum Downrigger Brackets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I recently decided to make life just a little easier by adding swivel bases to the downriggers. Actually, my good friend “Arthur Itus” also helped with the decision. Because my existing gunnel mounts were not compatible with the new Scotty swivel bases I had to replace them also.

I want to share the aluminum brackets made for me by Fish-On Fabricators (a TB sponsor). These were made per a rough drawing I emailed to them. They were great about offering some suggestions. Even though I’m on the opposite coast, these folks were very easy to deal with.

One images below shows the old gunnel mount. In one of the close-ups of the new bracket, you see a black “shim” where the bracket meets the gunnel. These were milled from some phenolic sheet that I had originally intended to use for new table saw inserts. There are backer plates both on the outside of the hull and under where the brackets attach to the deck.

Attachments

• Old Bracket.JPG
    Old Bracket.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Another CloseUp.JPG
    Another CloseUp.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,365
  • New Bracket with swivel base.JPG
    New Bracket with swivel base.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 1,361
Looks good my friend. My boat has the narrow gunnel as well,somewhat makes it a little challenging to mount accessories. I made my rod holder bases,machined a little slot in them to mate / match up with the profile of the gunnel. What species do you target with the downriggers?

Downriggers are so much easier to use with swivel bases. Both my Penn Fathomasters have swivel mounts.

Those brackets look fantastic. They really did a nice job on them.

Bearclaw said:
Looks good my friend. My boat has the narrow gunnel as well,somewhat makes it a little challenging to mount accessories. I made my rod holder bases,machined a little slot in them to mate / match up with the profile of the gunnel. What species do you target with the downriggers?

I fish almost exclusively for rainbows. They are commonly stocked in most of our lakes/reservoirs. Occasionally I will target Kokanee. I guess the narrow gunnel is the price we pay for a light boat. I don't use the rod holders on the down riggers. Instead I have scotty rod holders mounted on the inside of the gunnels just forward of the down riggers. I your idea of customizing the mounts to match the gunnel profile.

jethro said:
Downriggers are so much easier to use with swivel bases. Both my Penn Fathomasters have swivel mounts.

Wow I had long boom Penn Fathomasters on my previous boat (30+ years ago). I loved those down riggers. They would be slightly too large for my current boat. Haha

The brackets are 3/16" aluminum. Not an area of expertise of mine, but I was sure happy with how tight they were able to make the bends. They were spot on with dimensions.

LDUBS said:
jethro said:

Wow I had long boom Penn Fathomasters on my previous boat (30+ years ago). I loved those down riggers. They would be slightly too large for my current boat. Haha

The brackets are 3/16" aluminum. Not an area of expertise of mine, but I was sure happy with how tight they were able to make the bends. They were spot on with dimensions.

Your boat is bigger than mine!

jethro said:
LDUBS said:
jethro said:

Your boat is bigger than mine!

I was using the ones with the 4' booms on my old boat. I was worried about the leverage if I got a snag, so stuck with 2' booms this time around.

Latest posts