Hole in my boat!! What do you think of this patch job?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kclairmont83

Reaction score
While out on the fox river this weekend I "bumped " into a boulder and put a small split in the hull of my 12' jon (aluminum rivited) I used JB weld aluminum weld marine epoxy, shascho's Thru The Roof sealant and sheet metal rivited in place. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Better ideas? Thanks everyone for the input

Attachments

• IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_3581.JPG
    IMG_3581.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 983
I had a similar crack in my jon and I used JB Weld too, it didn't work. Basically they hull flexes and the crack will continue to grow, I ended up getting mine welded, cost $45. Mine was easy to get to like yours too.

You might want to reinforce both sides of the hull. Form the patch to fit the rib. The thin material might be hard to weld.

Good luck.

You needed to drill a small hole at both ends of the crack to stop the crack from getting longer. I would have had it mig or tig welded. If it leaks and you do decide to get it welded you will have to remove all of the JB weld and roofing sealer. 3M 5200 would have been a better than the JB weld.

I drilled holes at the end of each crack, still the crack grew and, yes a small piece of aluminum was welded on top of the crack.

Latest posts