2015 1652 VBW made by G3.....storage nightmare. Please help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dp03

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2015 1652 VBW made by G3. The boat has a 2016 37hp backwater mudd motor on the back of it. I am very passionate about duck hunting. After buying the boat and getting together the supplies I needed for the boat (fire extinguisher, life jackets, etc.) I have noticed that storage on the boat is going to be a night mare. There is a small amount of room towards the back end of the boat for the gas tank, battery, and fire extinguisher. And also a very small approximately 2 feet long by 1 foot wide opening at the front end of the boat. That is it!

I have two questions for you guys regarding storage,
1). Some boat companies come stock with "gun boxes" a 7 foot or so by 1 foot or so metal box that runs along side of the gunnels of the boat where people often store shotguns and other things while hunting. Is there an aftermarket box that anyone is aware of? And if not any advice or blueprints on how to make my own?

2). Attached is a picture of the boat from above. There is a bench seat right in front of the motor where the driver would sit while riding. In the picture it is highlighted with a blue box. Is there foam under the bench seat? Or is it hallow? Would it be possible for me cut open the top end of the bench seat and make a closable storage box? If I can what are your recommendations on how to do that?

As you can see I am trying to find different options to open up space for stuff in the boat. Life jackets, ropes, other knick nacks one would want in a boat but the space just is not there, not out of the way and not all in the floor atleast. If anyone has any other storage ideas or options I am not thinking of then please let me know. It is driving me insane!

Attachments

• IMG_6536.JPG
    IMG_6536.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,320
I was running into the same issue with my Xpress. I wanted some storage in the rear pods. I cut two access holes and bought doors from Cabelas. Mine had foam in them, but I tore it out. Many guys will tell you not to take your foam out because Its there to float your boat in the event it becomes submerged. It's not my job to tell you what to do with your boat. For me the storage was important enough to take it out. The doors are a little pricy but are nice. Here are a few pictures of my boat. I cut two doors. One for my batteries, fuse panel, and switch panel, and then one on the other side for my fuel tanks. Both just sat at your feet in the back of the boat before I cut the openings. So far it has worked out great.

84e29a5636575fee12f3d2e8088b71b8.jpg
6b96af02fd45752f635b22bd6f44ef03.jpg
c1157a62a9ac8faab3070ee815e39b3e.jpg
e4dbb543743bd9a4dafbd1b11db0da8a.jpg
1ebd6b8b9d6acda379ef540250267113.jpg
27fec30d9c625481c7f1e496e0261a6c.jpg
78343dc90b3fd37f4c709672551c6bf2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

War Eagle boats have a bunch of accessories you can buy, including a 60 or 72" side gun box, might pay to check that out.

AkMcCallum (Shameless plug.....board advertiser :D ) also sells accesories for jons. Click on their banner below and then check out the long list of stuff under the "Accessories" tab. Awesome stuff for sure!

AND....if you do order anything or talk to them, let them know you are a TinBoats member. Please.

Jim :beer:

I have a 1648 Tracker GRIZZLY blind duck with a factory gun box. I was going to remove it, but then I would have had almost no storage and would have had stuff laying all over the floor just like you are trying to avoid. I decided it was best to just leave it where it's at and am amazed at what it can hold.

In the past, I have seen others on this site use one of those Plano storage totes in their boats. You secure it to the sides or floors with d-rings and some sort of turnbuckle. It allows you to make a few places in the boat that you can secure it but then it is also easily removed. I always questioned whether or not it would support a person sitting on it....but even if it didn't, it could probably me modified/braced up to support someone.

You can either have an open floor plan or storage. You don't get both. Not sure if you bought the boat new, but if you did slicing it up will void your hull warranty. Maybe not ideal but you can use a storage tote to store stuff and keep it out of the way. Stuff will stay dry.

First, I wouldn't mess with the foam. Until that day down the road when it's water logged. 2, I would buy 2 of those gun lockers. One on each side. Still a open look. And you can get a ton of crap in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You double on the ducks (Nice shooting!) but a gun spark will ignite your gas vapors. You enclosed the tanks against the written warning on them. Where is your fire extinguisher? In the fire next to your gas. Aluminum melts fast so now your on the bottom with only your head up because you removed flotation. Now I dent my new prop on the only thing sticking up. Your head. Dang it! I'm pissed but not as pissed as the lawer that sues whats left of you. The captain of the vessel that was responsible for its crew was knowingly negligent. You let your buddy loose his ability to work and his little Johny is now crispy Joe. Joe calls "877 get cash now" to cash out his settlement that you fund. He buys a Mustang and lands some hot chicks. The only thing that throbs on you is that plate in your head. Just joking but read between the lines and tighten up. Foam the floor, vent the heck out of your gas locker and move the fire extinguisher away from the gas.

https://www.fishonfabrications.com/

the deck extensions hold storage too.