Floor & carpet installation questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoestringmariner

Reaction score
New guy here, looks like there's lots of builders/converters in this group and I hope you don't mind sharing your expertise...

I'm converting a 12' V hull to a flat floor, slightly raised (enough for the seat swivels base to recess). I have styro SM underneath and need to secure the new ply down to a) be stable, and B), hold in all the flotation foam. At this junction, I am not planning on cladding the insides of the hull with carpet, but likely will later if the "fishing test" is a pass.

My questions if I may are;

1) I have lots of 3/4" spruce sheathing I can use - what's the best way to seal the wood before carpeting, and a coating that will be compatible with carpet adhesive (Cheap is good hence my handle)

2) I'd like a clean looking installation with marine carpet wrapped under, but how do I fasten the carpeted floor down without ugly fasteners running right through the carpet? Should I fasten the floor down 1st, then use some sort of trim around the perimeter? As mentioned, the ply needs to be securely fastened so I don't lose flotation foam should I get swamped....and to keep the seats secure

3) Should I decide to clad the inside of the hull with carpet, should I glue right to the hull, or should I apply carpet to 1/4" thick luan panels cut to size, and then install those directly to the hull? (thought the latter would be a nicer job, folding the carpet over to the back side)

And in case the weight vs boat capacity thought rears its head, I'm aware that I'm adding a bit of weight to this boat, but in reality, it will be a solo use boat. I've been cautioned and I'm giving that consideration

as for the seat base, I would suggest something that does not
protrude down through the floor.
seat base.jpg
the only problem with this style is that it presents a severe trip hazard
when the seat is removed - should you decide to fish that way.

I have fished in flat bottom Jon Boats with only a 4x4' plywood floor
and the chair from my office. (way back when I was young-n-dumb).
San Juan, PR Fishing.jpg

Good Luck in your new project !!

Thanks for your thoughts. Love the chair actually. That was before the days of the current swivel seats we can now buy anywhere. I went with the 3/4" pin type that has flush mount plates and recessed barrels. I have 3-4" clear below my floor. (Filled with styro) framing done, now it's time to cut, seal and install the ply

I used the same style plates as you did on my build. I fastened them to the underfloor framework with rivnut inserts. I pre drilled and countersank all the deck pieces and shot self tapping screws through after carpeting. The screws disappear into the carpet and you have to look real hard to find them. Check out the build in my sig to see.

Latest posts