14 Foot FOREMOST VEE-BOTTOM by JC PENNY??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

Do any of you know who made the FOREMOST line of tin boats, that were evidently sold by JC PENNY stores.

The serial number on the little Vee-bottom is 23008 & the TX Parks & Wildlife Department has it registered as a 1972 model.
(Truthfully, the records of TP&WD are VERY POOR for that era, so it may NOT be a 1972.)

According to the original owner's son, the boat was always on their private lake, has never been used with an OB motor, was never titled & hasn't been "wet" since his father died in 1978.
(That's all that he knows about the boat.)

For one thing, I'd like to know the recommended HP for the tin boat, as I plan to fish for crappie on the smaller TX lakes from it.

yours, satx

If you find any info can you please post it? From looking at other posts and web searching I believe my boat is a Foremost. Late 60's to early 70's. it came with an old Seaking trailer. You can view my pics and see if it matches your boat. The interior had a light blue paint on it, but has since been painted over. My boat has no models numbers or plates anywhere on it. It was tough to find any info on Foremost boats until I found a post on here and his boat had a Foremost decal on the side and looked identical to mine. My boat is a 14ft also.

Jmar,

I have found ZILCH about the little tin skiff on any internet search engine. - Mine has a data plate but it is unreadable, due to Sun damage, except for the stamped serial number.

How does the 9.9 work on your boat?
(I was hoping to use my 18HP electric start 1958 Johnson & a DIY stick-steering system on it, as I don't "pull-start" OB very well anymore, but that may be TOO MUCH power??)

yours, satx

The 9.9 scoots me around pretty good. I don't know the actual weight of the boat since I cant find any info on it.

With all the flooring, motor, trolling motor, gas tank, battery, anchor, tackle, and myself that total comes to around 525lbs. I can get to 14.5mph on my Garmin Striker GPS in calm water. I'm sure if it was just me and I took out everything but the gas tank I might hit 20mph.

Jmar,

MAYBE the 18HP Johnny FDE-12 isn't too much, with forward control (I weigh 180#), & if I'm judicious about the throttle??
(I really don't want to have to buy another OB if I can avoid it, as this old Johnny starts/runs/looks FINE.)

yours, satx

I have a 57 18hp and a 58 10hp (both non electric start) and there isn't a ton of weight difference. I'm going to speculate that your boat will handle 15 hp as a tiller control and more with remote steering. I'd be comfy with an 18 on it. I run a 10hp on my 12', though that is considered overpowered. (A 7.5 wouldn't plane it)

shoestringmariner,

THANKS for the advice. - Being the forum's "friendly neighborhood cheapskate", I will tryout the old '58 Johnny FDE-12 on the 14 footer.
(That FDE-12 is the best 40 bucks that I've ever spent, as it has FEW actual hours & has spent most of its life in a SATX garage.)

yours, satx

They are great motors. I wish mine was electric start as I use it on a 50's plywood runabout with a front cockpit. PITA to restart on the water

shoestringmariner,

ONE thing is certain: The 1955-69 Evinrude, Gale, Johnson & Sea King 2-cylinder OB 10-40 HP motors are the BEST OBs for the $$ on Planet Earth. They are ridiculously over-engineered. = I've never even seen one that was "worn out in service", though I've seen any number that were ruined by misuse.
(Btw, my 1st cousin about 20 years ago borrowed my jonboat/trailer & 1959 Johnny to go crappie fishing. - I told him that it needed fuel. = That night he brought the rig home & said, "You may need to do some work on the motor, as it "Gets hotter than a firecracker, after it runs for a while." = He had fueled the tank with >5 gallons of straight gas. - That old motor, believe it or not, is still running OK today, despite being run all that day essentially W/O oil.)

Further, with a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNERS GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER, a handful wrenches, a pair of pliers, a hammer, lubricants & about 100.oo worth of parts, a reasonably intelligent gorilla can learn to work on one. = Motors just don't get simpler to keep going than the old Johnnyrudes.
(Fwiw, I literally wore out my first copy of the book & bought a 2nd one.)

yours, satx

I totally agree. I don't like how they are gross polluters, but I run mine on biodegradable mix. I'm going to do a full resto on my 58 QD and put early 60's internals in it which will allow me to run 50:1. I know some people run them 50:1 already on synthetics, and I read somewhere that OMC was doing tests on them finding that no damage happened until they leaned out to 100:1.

Nothing looks cooler than the 54-58 Johnny's in my books either...58 is my fave

shoestringmariner,

My FAVORITE of the 2-cylinder OBs is the last ones that were by OMC, called SEA KING & sold by Montgomery Ward.

yours, satx

Latest posts