14' Slyvan mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassun

Reaction score
I have a 1989 14' Sylvan that I bough a few weeks ago for my 1st boat. It is not a deep V more of a flat bottom up to the 3rd seat and rated for 15hp max. I am looking at staying in on smaller lakes and would like to make my boat a bit more fisher friendly. I have done some research about floors and storage and have a good idea on what I want to do. Everything I want to do begins with the removal of the middle bench seat. I would appreciate and feed back on if this is a good idea. The boat will only be used with 2 people fishing.

thanks,
Kassun

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,135
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,167
Welcome Kassun,
Thans for joining!

Nice boat! :beer:

If that middle seat is used for structural support you would need to replace that support to be on the safe side. Not to big of a problem if you plant put a nice structural floor or deck. I look forward to your progress!

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm also considering now keeping all the seats in as is and adding a floor that connects the 2nd and 3rd seat and using it as a casting deck and or storage for a live well and gear. My only concern with that is the CG, and that the boat really isn't that deep of a V. The deck would only be a few inches below the top rim. So many possibilities :).

-Kassun

Hack that seat outta there!!! :twisted: Seriously, I say go for it....but I'll warn you, you're gonna get mixed answers.

And welcome!
ST

Looks similar to my Lonestar hull. Take a look at what I've done to mine so far here.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4191

RCP: thanks and nice boat, i like the old styled stearing console. How did you mount the front deck to the front of the hull? My wife`and I are still going back and forth with design ideas. I am still searching for a motor, so for now it's my row boat :).

-Kassun

I have been searching for information on removing the middle bench seat but i cannot find any detailed information. If you took yours out or know someone that has i would appreciate the help or a link :).

thanks for your time,
Kassun

I've decided to keep the middle bench in for now. I found some rigid cardboard and it took roughly 3 hours to get the measurements and fits just right. Tomorrow i will work on the elevation off of the hull and cut and shave 2x4's as needed to get the contour just right. And then mount that to the bottom of my floor boards for my deck. I'll post some pics tomorrow evening after I get the floor boards in. Then it'll be time to look for some nice carpeting after I seal the wood.

-Kassun

I removed one from my jon, and there's others who've done the same here. What are you afraid will happen by removing it? If you don't want it there, take it out, if it doesn't bother you, work around it.

ST

My main concern is the hull flexing resulting in some of the rivets leaking or worse. I have read a few horror stories, that's mostly what is making me shy away.

I considered taking it out and on the sides coming out approx 16"-18" inches on both sides and making 2 long rectangular storage containers out of 2x2 or 2x3's that would connect to the bow and stern bench seats, then sheeted the boxes with 1/2" ply.

The two rectangular structures would be screwed to the floor, but I am not sure how to attach them to the side of the hull. At the bottom of the bench there is a plate that comes up from the hull to the bench that is riveted, and I am not sure how to effectively provide support for it. I appreciate andy feed back you guys can offer.

Thanks for your time,
Kassun

here are the updates, started and finished her today. Gona test her out Sunday morning.

-kassun

Attachments

• boat new 001.JPG
    boat new 001.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 921
  • boat new 002.JPG
    boat new 002.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 920
  • boat new 003.JPG
    boat new 003.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 918
  • boat new 004.JPG
    boat new 004.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 918
  • boat new 005.JPG
    boat new 005.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 915
  • boat new 007.JPG
    boat new 007.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 924
  • boat new 008.JPG
    boat new 008.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 921
  • boat new 009.JPG
    boat new 009.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 920
  • boat new 010.JPG
    boat new 010.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 924
  • boat new 011.JPG
    boat new 011.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 926
  • boat new 012.JPG
    boat new 012.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 929
  • boat new 013.JPG
    boat new 013.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 935
Thanks guys, I started work @ 7am and finished at 2:30am the next morning and I have the hand blisters from stapling to prove it :). The cutting went pretty fast, the stapling seamed to take for ever. I got her out on Sunday morning and had a blast. I really enjoy the floors for casting and the storage areas. Before My wife and I had stuff everywhere because there wasn't any place to really put it.

I did add a swivel seat on the 3rd bench just before the bow and plan to add a second to the middle bench. I was looking at adding a seat on the rear deck, but I am going to hold of till i can get 2 pedestal plates so I have the option to put the seat in the middle for when i am fishing and moving the seat to the side for driving.
I'll be happy once I find a motor, but with the old min-kota I didn't have to row this time :).

thanks,
Kassun

I got a boat for free this past weekend w/ a trailer. the trailer was 125.00 and well worth the money. It's a shell lake 14ft fiberglass boat. He threw in a 1956 15hp Oliver Model K outboard for free. She starts but doesn't want to run so I will see what I can do, she's a classic. I'll post some picks next week.

I purchased a 5.5 Johnson seahorse yesterday for 225, it just simply purrrrrrssss. I put her on my sylvan and will be doing some fishing and camping this weekend. Finally no more rowing :).

Thanks for the feedback guys,
Kassun

awesome job dude - let us know how your weekend goes with your "new" motor on the back of your sylvan!

Latest posts