Vertical Brace Support Question - Please Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starkfishes

Reaction score
I cut and was ready to mount my first cross member for the vertical support of a rear deck rebuild and I got to thinking. Why do I need to screw or rivet the cross member prior to installing the aluminum wall sheet (1/8")? I have cut the cross member to the exact size needed so that there is no sway without it being fixed in place. Won't the aluminum sheet hold the cross member vertically without prefixing it?

Here's a pic of the cross member before fixing it into place:

EA2D3E21-214F-4AA9-A8B2-FA3B6C496C9A.jpg

IS THIS A TIME-SAVER OR AM I ABOUT TO MAKE A BIG MISTAKE? Please give me some feedback.

Not exactly sure I understand what you are saying but I would think that you could rivet the sheet along with the angle, just use a heavier rivet maybe where you are connecting multiple pieces together.

if there is no door or hatch or any opening in that metal skin,
yes, you "could" just pop-rivet the skin to the verticals and
the skin will hold it together.

but - if your time is so limited that you can't take 15 minutes to do the project correctly,
maybe you should rethink everything before you proceed any further.

jus my Dos Centavos

** DISCLAIMER: https://www.tinboats.net and/or members of https://www.tinboats.net will not
and can not be held legally responsible and/or liable for any information, suggestions or endorsements
for any modifications/alterations or products that you may use to repair or modify your own personal boat,
watercraft, motor or trailer from the original manufacturers specifications.
It is the responsibility of the boat owner to use his/her prudent best judgment as to modifying or altering
the structural integrity of the boat hull, trailer or motor as designed and built by the manufacturer **

Latest posts