My 14' tinner never been in sal water - shoud I?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
This post may seem a bit silly to some, and well, maybe it is. :mrgreen:

I did a full restore on my 1963 14' Lone Star boat, and added a 9.5 HP 1966 Johnson motor. Solid rig and she runs like a scalded dog. I use it thus far, at a local fresh water lake.

Here's my dilemma - I've recently gotten highly interested in some salt water fishing in the Matagorda Bay area on the Texas coast. The East Bay is not easily accessible unless you have a "bay boat" (literally a FLAT bottom boat that can run in about 12" of water), a kayak, or a small shallow tinner boat. The other option to access the shallows in the bay is to have a GOOD 4x4 to get to the southern parts of the bay to wade in. I don't have a 4x4.

The shallows fishing in this bay is GREAT for Red Fish, flounder, and Speckled Trout, but you've got to get into the shallows.

I'm kinda anal about keeping my boat clean and tidy, so if I'm going to put this in salt water I'll have to get over that.

So, should I?

CMOS :?:

if you are "kinda anal about keeping your boat clean and tidy"

you just need to GET OVER IT - OR STAY HOME !!!
you gotta risk it to get the biscuit
no pain = no gain
or - buy another cheap beater boat and trailer just for the salt.

simple fresh water wash down after the salt trip
and flush the motor with fresh water as well as
rinsing under the cowl.

good luck with the reds !!!
red tail.jpg

Johnny,

Yep, I'm really only concerned with the steel trailer. The tinner and the motor can easily be well rinsed.

Those Reds and Specs are callin me man . . . .

CMOS :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Boat14.jpg
    Boat14.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,170
https://www.google.com/search?q=washing+a+boat+trailer&rlz=1C1BLWB_enUS651US651&oq=washing+a+boat+trailer&aqs=chrome..69i57.4276j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

again - simple wash down is all that is necessary.
soak the springs and all moving parts with spray oil prior to going into the salt. (not WD-40: spray OIL).

Johnny said:
soak the springs and all moving parts with spray oil prior to going into the salt. (not WD-40: spray OIL).
Here's what we do up here (NE US) spray the springs w/ fogging oil! Cheap, tenacious (sticks to everything) and is cheap! Well heck, yes I'm a Yankee, so I'm **** cheap ... but it works!

Rinse or washdown trailer well w/ pressure washer, then bake in the sum for a week, then spray it down.

With PVC covers on the bunks and a light boat like yours, you don't have to dunk the trailer above the bearings or springs.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I use CorrosionX. Its more expensive than fogging oil but it is an unbelievable penetrant. Gets deep into cracks and crevices such as between spring leaves, and even nuts and bolts. And then it just sticks. I have a trailer used in the salt and the springs have lasted over 20 years... Awesome stuff.

dunno when to reapply - I guess when you notice the first coat is almost gone ?
that could vary with soooooo many factors involved.
I have only used it twice in one year on my trailer springs.
I have dozens of woodworking tools, clamps and gizmos that have been in
storage for a dozen years and have become rusty.
I am slowly getting them all ready to put back into service and
the Fogging Oil is the best I have seen so far for a good coating
after the initial wire brush treatment. (to bare steel).

I just looked at the instructions on the can I have and it is very descriptive
about what it does and how to use it but does not state how often to apply.

so - - - rule of thumb: reapply when you think it is necessary

About this item
Disclaimer: While we aim to provide accurate product information, it is provided by manufacturers,
suppliers and others, and has not been verified by us. See our disclaimer.
Keep your engine well protected and lubricated with this 12-ounce spray can of STA-BIL Fogging Oil, 22001.
The special formula sprays on cleanly and evenly to prevent rust and corrosion. This engine storage oil is scientifically designed to
displace water and keep internal components safe from moisture. It can be used to lubricate pistons
and engine walls in addition to other sensitive internal machine parts. Using this 12-fl-oz bottle
of engine fogging oil also helps guard against grinding or scuffing during engine startup after prolonged time
in storage. It is meant for use with 2-or 4-stroke gasoline engines and can be applied with ease to nearly any component.
Its resealable bottle features a plastic cap that prevents leakage or damage when not in use.
In addition, this engine storage oil includes an aerosol spray wand to allow easy and precise application in tight spaces.
STA-BIL 22001 Fogging Oil, 12 fl oz:
Coats internal engine components to prevent corrosion
Displaces moisture from metal to protect engine
Lubricates cylinders to prevent cylinder damage (scuffing) at start up
This engine fogging oil, 12 fl oz, works for most 2-cycle and 4-cycle gasoline engines

Displacing moisture is essential to safe storage. Using this product properly on your engine helps give
you peace of mind knowing that your metal engine parts are protected against rust or corrosion.
The lubricating properties of this STA-BIL Fogging Oil, 22001 ensure clean and smooth internal action
when applied to pistons and engine rings.

Warnings:
California Proposition 65 Warning: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California
to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm to laboratory mice.
PLEASE DO NOT SPRAY THIS PRODUCT ON RATS !!

(just kidding about the rats)

SmallmouthFool said:
I use CorrosionX. Its more expensive than fogging oil but it is an unbelievable penetrant. Gets deep into cracks and crevices such as between spring leaves, and even nuts and bolts. And then it just sticks. I have a trailer used in the salt and the springs have lasted over 20 years... Awesome stuff.

Did some reading on this. Seems like some really good stuff based on hundreds of reviews all over the place.

CMOS

Jabee - I am well aware of the slot limits and seasons on all Florida fish. (and yes, we have a snook permit).
Mr. Green Jeans makes his regular appearance where we fish
as well as check points on the road leaving the area.
so if you think you can get away with a non-legal catch just because
you escaped the dock area, you can still be searched on the road.
then - you could lose your boat, motor, all tackle, trailer and the vehicle you are towing it with.
not worth the risk in my world.

Apologies to the OP but....It's a boat, it's aluminum, it's going to show salt, corrosion and other discolorations. Get in, pull the cord, ride to your spot, fish, ride back, rinse down and be done with it. Life is too short to stress over a dusky boat.

Crazyboat said:
Apologies to the OP but....It's a boat, it's aluminum, it's going to show salt, corrosion and other discolorations. Get in, pull the cord, ride to your spot, fish, ride back, rinse down and be done with it. Life is too short to stress over a dusky boat.

No apologies needed CB. You are correct. I'm goin' fishin! There are too many opportunities in that Bay to sit on a bank.

I'm getting some additional gear that I'll need out there. I also told my 8-year old daughter if she should fall out of the boat - "just stand up." :mrgreen:

Also, I was born in Philly. We used to vacation in the Ocean City area and rent Jon boats to Flounder fish the bay. I was only about 7 but I remember all those trips, including the 2nd Place Record for a flounder caught by my dad one day. Man . . . .

CMOS

Johnny said:
Jabee - I am well aware of the slot limits and seasons on all Florida fish. (and yes, we have a snook permit).
Mr. Green Jeans makes his regular appearance where we fish
as well as check points on the road leaving the area.
so if you think you can get away with a non-legal catch just because
you escaped the dock area, you can still be searched on the road.
then - you could lose your boat, motor, all tackle, trailer and the vehicle you are towing it with.
not worth the risk in my world.

Was just having fun with you, that's what the wink is for at the end of my comment.

mrdrh - what do you mean by "(Boost not your daughter!)" ?? do you mean "boats"? :roll:

hahaha - I turned 70 the other day and she is - - - -
well, - - - - a few years younger.

and she is a VERY skilled angler !!!!!!!!!!!!
4.5# bass.JPG
our anniversary was the 21st and we went to Bass Pro Shop to celebrate.
she LOADED UP on all kinds of salt and freshwater goodies as well as two
new PENN Battle reels and rods..... and a few spools of braid. (yeah, on MY card !!).
for her birthday in April, I got her the new PENN 10,500 spinning reel for her surf rods.
(that one alone holds 400 yards of 40# braid).

Love is Grand, ain't it ???

[ok ok - - - let's move along and stay on topic of the original post]

Latest posts