hole with bushing instead of quick release for kckr bracket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriecrappie33

Reaction score
I recently purchased a kicker motor bracket. My thoughts are that I do not want or trust leaving that kicker on that bracket while trailering and may want to take it off during duck season.... I don't want to use the panther quick release for a few reasons soooooo... my thoughts are drilling 4 holes with correct size bushings to fit the bolts to attach my kicker bracket and I'll be able to take it off easily and put the bolts back through the bushing to block the holes in the transom while not in use... it will be well above the water line so I'm not worried about making it water tight.... this crude sketch may help?? Any thoughts??

I would do it

just try to seal the new holes in the wood with epoxy or something with a brush small enough
to get into the holes. (drill the holes a bit larger than needed - then seal).
even though it is above the waterline, rainwater will find its way into unprotected wood.

edit: even if the holes in the wood panel are oversized, with just epoxy protection, with the
repeated installing and removing the bolts, the threads "could" remove the epoxy coating
thus opening the wood up to water/moisture infiltration. so the plastic bushing makes sense.
It would make more sense if you could remove the wood transom panel and use DaleH's
method to drill a 1" hole and fill with epoxy - - - re-install the panel and then drill the holes.
bushings would not be needed - the oversized epoxy "plug" would be the protection for the wood.

+1 on what Johnny says. Just for the sake of discussion, if I understand correctly you would install the bracket & OB when you arrive at the ramp. I'm not understanding why this is easier than leaving the bracket permanently mounted and instead taking the kicker OB to and from the bracket.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
I'm lost on why you need bushings to to this?

I think it makes sense because he will be removing and installing the bolts/bracket repeatedly. The bushings would protect the holes in what I assume is plywood. That is my guess and I'm sticking to it! :D

I think it makes sense because he will be removing and installing the bolts/bracket repeatedly. The bushings would protect the holes in what I assume is plywood. That is my guess and I'm sticking to it! :D
Exactly my thoughts LDUBS. I want the be able to remove the entire thing because i mostly duck hunt out of my boat and in certain situations it would get in the way as well as get beat up pretty bad and im not exactly sold on how durable these brackets are..

jethro said:
You can get an amazingly durable kicker bracket these days. However, I don't really see any reason why your plan won't work?

Hello

Where would I get the amazingly durable kicker bracket online? the ones on amazon don't have good ratings.

The idea of drilling out big holes in plywood for soft plastic bushings doesn't agree with me... If it was me I'd just add an aluminum plate to the outside and inside, the size of the bracket footprint, to take the load and damages from repeated connections.

Latest posts