Deck extension support - how to attach

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryd

Reaction score
All,
PolarKraft 15/44 installing deck for bass fishing. This boat, when I purchased for previous owner, had already been carpeted/floored. I want to extend front deck to console. Will be using 2 x 1/8 angle aluminum for deck structure.

I'm struggling how to connect the aluminum cross members to the sides AND how to mount vertical aluminum supports which will support the decking to the bottom of the boat. The sides/bottom are aluminum. See attached pictures

Thanks for any guidance.

terryd

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 839
  • deck_prop.jpg
    deck_prop.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 839
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 839
Terry, Welcome Aboard !!

this is another controversial topic. the common method of attaching horizontal
braces to the side hull is with aluminum brackets attached with stainless
hardware (such as truss head bolts) or aluminum pop rivets.
the verticals are attached to the floor ribs, if possible or another horizontal brace
on the floor. 3M-5200 Fast Cure is a very tenacious adhesive and sealant that
will be of help in the sealing process.
if there is a plywood floor there now, and is in good condition, you could run a
horizontal length of angle or square tubing across the floor and pop-rivet the verticals to that and
screw the bottom brace to the plywood floor with stainless wood screws. (sheet metal screws, actually).
Plywood and Aluminum floor.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5EQqrm2saU

Brackets.JPG
Truss Bolt.jpg
pop rivets.jpg

there are hundreds of excellent builds and examples of such projects in this forum.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=21
just go through the builds section or use the search feature in the upper right corner.

Here is what I would do. Very limited material needs, figure out how much angle and tube you would need, likely less than a stock length of each, pick it up, cut it, drill it, install it. Probably under 100 bucks in aluminum, and probably about 30 bucks for a box of 3/16" aluminum rivets.

34819458773_0c16b4d1a1_b.jpg

If you'd like to see a larger version, you can follow this link.
Model by Tom Dobbins, on Flickr

Forgot to mention, for the sides of the boat, when you take that carpet covered plywood off of there, you will very likely see hat channel ribs. You can very safely drive a rivet through the top part of the hat channel to connect support angles to them. Just be sure you are going through the hat channel and not the actual hull. If you want to go through the actual hull (shouldn't need to but maybe your layout dictates the need) you could use sealed rivets and buck them in with an air hammer and backer block. You have easy access to both sides of the material with that boat.

Latest posts