Installing a SHOOT THROUGH transducer on an aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I have successfully... Goop'd.... transducers into my kayaks. Rather than using Goop, some other successful installations have been made using Duct Seal (supposedly available at HD and Lowes).

It has now been proven that a transducer will shoot through aluminum,(see BBC thread LINKED below) I guess I'll give it a shot on my G3 1652. I don't get good results with my present transom mount transducer on that boat.

I stumbled across a YouTube video showing yet another version of installation, utilizing Duct Seal, a plastic jar, and water. It certainly makes a lot of sense. For your viewing pleasure.... richg99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDTkfhE_7RY

LINK to BBC thread.... https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=703555

I've always heard to use mineral oil in the container instead of water, but would opt for in-hull or 'puck' transducer installs. Otherwise all of the shoot-thru's I did were done with the duct seal.

Well, as I said, I've had a couple of successful "shoot-through" installations on the plastic kayaks using Goop. The Duct Seal seems an even better "stick-'em" because it appears thicker and more controllable.

The young man's idea of using a cut-down plastic container is good for anyone who is afraid of gluing their expensive transducer in. I agree that mineral oil or some other thick viscosity liquid may well work better.

I am many weeks away from getting back to TN (where the 1652 G3 is) due to my upcoming knee replacement. But, when I do get back up there, I will try....first....just sticking it in with the duct seal and see what happens.

Thanks for the input. richg99

p.s. For anyone thinking about doing this, it has been said that you lose your ability to read the water temperature accurately. I found, on the kayaks, that I still had a temperature reading, but I do not know how accurate it was. It wasn't off by much.
On an aluminum "shoot-through" I suspect that the temperature reading would be MORE accurate given the ability of aluminum to transfer temps better than the plastic of a kayak.

In the BBC thread the guy mentioned being able to read better at high speed. Mine only reads to about 20 mph then I loose the bottom and depth. Do I have a turbulence or mounting problem? Is my issue the whole reason you would want to mount the transducer this way?

Stump....that is exactly the problem that I have. No reading at high speeds. No doubt turbulence is the issue for me. I've raised it, and lowered it...but I haven't moved it side to side.

IF ....I have the right spot in my battery/fuel-well to place the transducer it may do better than outside.

However, I do know that I have to be cognizant of the strakes and where they are relative to the where I place the transducer. The nice thing about the Duct Seal is that ....if it doesn't work, I can just pull it back up and try another spot. My battery/fuel-well is pretty tight right now, though.

I believe that I can just unscrew my present transducer; swing the t'ducer and its wires into the boat, and stick it someplace. I don't have to do any re-wiring. If it works well enough, THEN, I'll re-route the wires.
richg99

"outboard hydrofoil"

Well, of course, you can put a transducer anywhere you want....but....

#1 the hydrofoils that I've seen and used were pretty thick plastic...so I don't think it would shoot through very easily. A solid aluminum might work...but...(see below)

#2. Talk about turbulence. The hydrofoil blade or plate is immersed in white, churning water. I don't think that it would work well in that bubbly environment.

richg99

richg99 said:
"outboard hydrofoil"

Well, of course, you can put a transducer anywhere you want....but....

#1 the hydrofoils that I've seen and used were pretty thick plastic...so I don't think it would shoot through very easily. A solid aluminum might work...but...(see below)

#2. Talk about turbulence. The hydrofoil blade or plate is immersed in white, churning water. I don't think that it would work well in that bubbly environment.

richg99

Have done this; and they don't work at all if the engine's running. The bubbles from exhaust foul up the 'ducer at idle speeds and then as soon as you put it in gear, it basically is useless.

Latest posts