Help with location of Side Imaging Transducer on Tracker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varnco

Reaction score
I have a tracker 185 boat, and upgrading its 2003 graph with a new Helix 5 with DI, SI.

The transducer is bigger than the old one, and before punching anymore holes in the transom (5 holes already for previous/current transducers), I was hoping someone has already installed a humminbird with SI on a tracker... to see where they mounted it.

I would like to get depth readings at faster speeds if possible (that I don't get today) and of course, like to get the SI working, so the motor being in the way may be a problem.

You can see the old location holes in this shot and see it's stepped and there is a rail next to the bunker board that would likely interfere at faster speeds
IMG_20170704_205319-1248x1664.jpg
Side shot so you can see the spacing available and how the motor will likely get in the way for SI when it's trimmed in.
IMG_20170704_202045-1248x1664.jpg
Just another shot so you can see how the existing transducer is attached. I don't get high-speed depth readings (20+MPH)
IMG_20170704_202000-1248x1664.jpg

I have the same transducer what I did with mine is I mounted a big cutting board on to the back of the boat and then I can move it around from there so I know which way I can go with two little screws and not having to worry about putting any extra holes in the boat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here's a picture, albeit a bad one, of what I mean.
8df204253940f5aa8996f462f01c3cdb.jpg

Just_Chuck said:
I have the same transducer what I did with mine is I mounted a big cutting board on to the back of the boat and then I can move it around from there so I know which way I can go with two little screws and not having to worry about putting any extra holes in the boat.

I'm going to likely buy some of that or an official piece of polyethylene that is sold for this specific purpose, whichever is cheaper ":)

So, I see where you mounted yours. Are you able to get depth when you are on plane? Also, does the motor get in the way using side imaging?

varnco said:
Just_Chuck said:

I'm going to likely buy some of that or an official piece of polyethylene that is sold for this specific purpose, whichever is cheaper ":)

So, I see where you mounted yours. Are you able to get depth when you are on plane? Also, does the motor get in the way using side imaging?
Yes, works very well.

Thanks. I may have to give it a shot in the middle, so long as the motor doesn't get in the way, and the step doesn't create a wake that makes the unit useless.

What is on the other side of your transom? Can you get a magnetic transducer mount on there? Then you can move it to your heart's content with no holes.

Getting a reading while on plane is difficult with transom mounts. I use humminbird's through-hull transducers to achieve this, but they require a ~1" hole be drilled through the floor which turns a lot of people off. Even with that you will not get useful side imaging running much faster than 8mph, certainly not while on plane, but basic depth information works fine.

So, where I have it mounted, i can't get a depth reading about 8mph. I guess I can live with that for now.

I'm not sure I want to mount it on the lower section that hangs below the boat, as it will likey hit something at some point, and that's an expensive fix - I like it being protected and a bit higher.

No depth reading when you are going over 8 MPH when you think about it in essence is useless for running up on shallow water obstructions. I would do my best to try for better placement.

I can't speak for the transom mounts - but with the thru-hull depth reading generally works even when I'm on plane. On occasion there is some interference, possibly weeds or other debris on the leading edge.

My guess is turbulence, just hoping I could mount somewhere on a stepped transom, so it's protected and still get readings while going above 8mph.

I've been doing some research on fish finders, planning on getting a side imaging unit in the next few months.

I came across this video, which demonstrates how a small change in transducer position can make a big impact. They show underwater video of a properly installed transducer, and an improperly installed one. The improperly installed one builds an air bubble at speed, causing it to lose bottom.

https://youtu.be/m7k0ECCQjeY?t=52

Latest posts