Boat wrap vs Painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 16' Crestliner,that is painted battle ship grey, I would like to paint or wrap the free board for a better look. the old paint isn't holding up very well.Any opinions would be appreciated.the bottom has the same paint also.

photos of what you have and your concerns would be most helpful.
also - what kind of paint is on there now?

this is an excerpt from a company that does boat wraps:
(keep in mind - they sell wraps, not paint). (I sell paint - not wraps).

https://oceanwraps.com/boat-wrap-vs-repaint/

personally, it does not bother me to paint something every few years
or touch ups when necessary. [I am a painter - that's what I do for fun]

a vinyl wrap needs to have a pristine surface to adhere to.
no dirt, grease, chalking, loose or peeling paint.
so after you get all the prep work done for the vinyl wrap,
you could have painted it the color you wanted and be done with it.
once you chip or scratch vinyl - cancer sets in and it will spread like kooties.

jus my Dos Centavos

Yeah, I believe your right,after all the prep I could paint it faster.Thanks.I have read many of your posts and trust in your experience and advice.

Not only is paint a great option, if you are into Camo, you can easily Camo it yourself. I bought the Rustoleum Camo kit and some Camo stencils from Amazon and was pleased with the results.

After doing that job, I don't know why you couldn't stencil almost anything on a boat yourself.

richg99

That's right, Rich !!

you could paint realistic looking marsh grass and cattails on one side
with big dragonflies resting here and there on the grass and big lunker bass
will actually jump into your boat trying to get the dragonflies !!!
and - on the other side, you could paint a water scene with some ducks floating around
and the ducks coming in will actually crash land inside your boat !!!

I have attended a few seminars by Mike Lavallee, a very good friend of mine,
and this is where I learned the "art of realism" and that was his joke . . . about the boat thing.
he is the one that perfected the airbrush technique of True-Fire.
stencils can easily be handcrafted out of any stiff material such as cardboard, pvc sheet,
mylar plastic, manila file folders, sticky shelf liner, etc. the designs are only limited to your imagination.
and you don't have to use the commercial "camo paint".... go to wal-mart and buy several different colors
of the cheap rattle can paint and create your own patterns. there is no right or wrong way. whatever tickles your fancy.

If camo was of interest...this package from Rustoleum has serious extra-flat paint in it. I'm not sure that regular cheaper spray paint will be as flat.

I am no longer a hunter, so it wouldn't matter to me, one way or the other. I also listed the camo stencil kit that I used.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ROI59I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013KF0FQ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1