Please help me choose what boat out of these 2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holdnon72

Reaction score
I'm torn on what 12' flat bottom jon boat to buy. It's either the G3 1236 or the lowe 1236...The G3 is made from slightly thicker aluminum and weighs 144# the lowe weighs 124# The G3 is open at the rear of the boat but the lowe has extra flotation runners at the rear of the boat giving you a little less storage space,but more weight cpacity.

The lowe 1236 can carry about 45 more pounds then the G3 because its lighter and has the extra foam at the rear. Also the G3 hase side depth of 18" inches and the lowe side depth is 17" inches. What are the advantages and disadvantages of either?

We will be using the set up with electric motor in small lakes and ponds...Someday I might get a 6HP yamaha gas for it

My wife and I weigh 365 combined...I will only be adding 2 seats and 2 floors...But just basic wood floors with carpet,No front deck

Links to both boats--->https://www.loweboats.com/jon-boats/l1236-jon/
Link----->https://www.g3boats.com/riveted-and-welded-jon-boats#compared

Both boats cost the same...Thanks for any info

I am not sure what the "person capacity" is on the G3, but...as far as the Lowe...your total person weight at 365 is already over the "Person Capacity" of that boat.

That says to me, regardless of the manufacturer, you need to pick a wider or long/wider boat.

richg99

p.s. I own both a Lowe and G3 at this time.

But the max weight capacity is 527... 2 people 365,battery 50 lbs,trolling motor 30 lbs,2 seats 35 lbs and 40 lbs gear keeps me under the gross max weight. Like I said its just for ponds

I've pushed the envelope on a 325 lb kayak. I weigh in at 255; add gear and other "stuff" and I am probably right at 300 lbs.

Most of the yakkers I know use 66% of the Manufacturer's Estimated Weight as a Real Carrying Weight.

I added PVC outriggers with flotation. It is "safe" but ...not really.

The next size up in width or length on those jon boats can't cost more than a few hundred dollars extra.

Your money; your choice; your life.

richg99

Attachments

• rudder a .jpg
    rudder a .jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,615
Lowe holds its value. People know the brand and think they are special for some reason.

Bigger boat. G3 are better built. Lowe and Crestliner all come from the same manufacturing shop. They are crap in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 12 years ago My wife and I had a 10 ft. sea nymph jon boat with 2 swivel seats,battery and trolling motor...We used it in all the local ponds and it was great. Now we wanna get back to fresh water fishing in those same ponds. Thats why I want the 12 footer now. Allot of our old spots have no ramp access. So i want to keep my setup light and portable. She really wants me to get the seaeagle sts10 inflatable because it will fit in our camper also...But I really want an aluminium boat. I'm trying to keep it portable as I can and the 14 footer is to heavy to lift. thanks for all the replies

I have a Sea Eagle 2 person kayak I put in my camper. Great boats but not so easy to fish out of. I am looking for a way to mount my 10 foot pontoon to the back of my camper so I don't have to keep stuffing it inside which is a PITA!

I finally found a 2017 L1240 in stock at a dealer couple hours away with a 535 max load rating...It will be the perfect pond boat for the wife and I...I have a brand new minkota 55 pound thrust trolling motor for it. I miss the fresh water seen so much. I will post up some pics when I get it home this week. Thanks again for all the help

holdnon72 said:
I finally found a 2017 L1240 in stock at a dealer couple hours away with a 535 max load rating...It will be the perfect pond boat for the wife and I...I have a brand new minkota 55 pound thrust trolling motor for it. I miss the fresh water seen so much. I will post up some pics when I get it home this week. Thanks again for all the help

I said DON'T thank me! :LOL2:
Hope it works out for you. I would really like to see somebody take out a 1236 and a 1240 (preferably the same somebody) and see what the stability difference is.

Actually you said thank you later :LOL2: So I will do just that...I'm sure the 1240 has slightly more stability then the 1236
Bunch of reasons why im picking the 1240...It only weighs 107 pounds so we can sneak it into some ponds that do not have a boat ramp. (Most of our spots have no ramp) Also it can hold 535 pounds max...and of course the 40" bottom

Here is a photo the dealer sent me...Price is $999

vmvi8w.jpg

Thanks! I just have to figure out what trailer suits my needs. Either the Loadrite 14F1000WT or the 14F800WT?
The 1000 has torsion axles the 800 has leaf springs. The 1000 has 12" wheels and 800 has 8" wheels...

Good for you.

Re "post pictures". Right below the box in which you are typing your message, is a section called Attachments or something similar. Use that and it should be easy to show us your new craft.

Latest posts