Give me suggestions for my boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angray

Reaction score
I am very new to the whole boating world, but for a while I have always dreamed of having a boat. I recently got this boat, trailer, and trolling motor for free. I am a college student with a very tight budget and want to restore this boat; at least enough to make it decent looking. I would love it if y'all could give me some suggestions for the boat. It's not aluminium, I think it's fiberglass, but then again I don't know much about boats. I have loved the ideas of decking part of the boat, but I think that this one might be too small to deck. It kinda looks like a bigger version of a gheenoe. I would appreciate any help!
Thanks!

Here are some pictures of the boat when I first picked it up, and after me painting the bottom. There aren't any holes in it and it does float.
IMG_6784.JPG
IMG_6785.JPG
IMG_6871.PNG
IMG_6872.PNG

Any boat is a good boat because it gets you on the water.
Go use it a few times close to home and then it will be easier to figure out what to add.
I would consider an anchor, fishfinder, rod holders, , a few cleats, a seat or two.
You are going to have more fun than you imagined.

I really like the boat. Looks like a good one.

Is it an optical illusion or is the back of your boat sitting low on the trailer. Is so be careful you don't hit the back of the boat on the street or curb.

I would buy a grease gun and grease the trailer wheels every six months, and maybe change the rope on the winch.

Other than that fish from it a few times before you sink a lot of time and money into upgrades.

This way you know what you really want.

Also, get a paddle just in case.

:WELCOME:

restoring a boat and tight budget don't normally go hand-in-hand.

go with a good power wash and put it in the water and STAY CLOSE TO SHORE
if you are new to the boating world !!! (until you develop your "sea legs").
my personal rule-of-thumb for novice mariners is to stay within your comfortable
swimming distance to shore - even with a PFD.

good luck - ENJOY THE SUMMER !!!

oh yeah, what part of the country are you in ??
some states require registration numbers on the hull, regardless of size. (if motorized).
so take a tape and measure the total length then check the boating laws in your area.

Johnny said:
LOL Bird - not an illusion

Bird said: "I would buy a grease gun and grease the trailer wheels"
uummmmmmm I think they need a little more than grease.

Yep, probably ought to replace that tire soon. :D

I also like your boat. I personally would not put a deck on that boat. It is a good looking boat as is. Like already suggested, use it for awhile before making any changes.

Johnny said:
:WELCOME:

restoring a boat and tight budget don't normally go hand-in-hand.

go with a good power wash and put it in the water and STAY CLOSE TO SHORE
if you are new to the boating world !!! (until you develop your "sea legs").
my personal rule-of-thumb for novice mariners is to stay within your comfortable
swimming distance to shore - even with a PFD.

good luck - ENJOY THE SUMMER !!!

oh yeah, what part of the country are you in ??
some states require registration numbers on the hull, regardless of size. (if motorized).
so take a tape and measure the total length then check the boating laws in your area.

I am located in south Georgia. I will look all of that up before I actually decide to take it out on a legit lake or big pond. What would you suggest to do for seats? The seats already in there are falling apart and wouldn't hold my weight without breaking. I was thinking about somehow attaching a piece of wood over the top of both of them.
Thanks

it looks as though there is plywood skinned over the fiberglass seats.
remove ALL that stuff, clean it up, take some good quality closeup photos and report back.

even though this is the most fantastic aluminum boat forum in the universe,
there are some very talented fiberglass craftsmen here as well than can lend you
some good advice - provided they have good quality photos and accurate information to work with.

The first boat I can remember buying as adult was an old Sawyer canoe that had been wrapped. Both sides were ripped out of it. Someone had jumped on it to straighten out the gunwhales. I put it back together with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. The aluminum gunwales were hard to straigthen but I got them close. It was actually a very fast hull no longer made called a Cruiser. I paid $25 for the boat and used it for decades. Finally I sold it for $300 and upgraded to some better canoes. i have had at least 7-8 canoes since that time and still have 3 of them.

Ppine and Snowshoe: you did notice that this thread is a year old, right?

Roger

Latest posts