General Tips/Opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM123

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on this forum, certainly not the first time looking through it though. I have decided that I need some advice. Up until recently, I have been content with fishing from a kayak. In the past few weeks, I have decided its time to dive into fishing from a Jon Boat but I have a few questions for those with more experience than I. I am not looking to invest a significant amount of money into a Jon boat (around $1000 for the boat itself) so I have been looking at riveted boats which I have read mixed opinions on. I particularly like the Lowe 1436L and was wondering if anyone could comment to the quality of this boat. I will primarily be using the boat for pond hopping but am in a unique situation as I also need the boat to be able to fit in the back of my truck bed (which has a toolbox that takes up 10-11 inches of the back). Most of the ponds I fish are deep into the woods and the dirt roads are far too rough for a boat trailer not to mention that the "boat ramps" are just angled earth created by the few who know of them. The solution I have come up with for the excess boat hanging off the end is one of the bed extenders you can place in your trailer hitch. Just looking for feedback on the quality of the Lowe Jon Boats and if anyone has used one of the bed extenders I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on that.

Thanks

Riveted boats that are old, worn and dented are iffy but if they are clean and newer then they won't leak. Riveted are are lighter than welded. In the back of a truck then lighter is better so just don't buy an old beat up one. If you don't have a motor then put the transom in the truck first and skip the hitch contraption. If you still want one then go to a metal shop and let them weld you one up specific to your needs. Might be cheaper than you think. Don't think a trailer won't go off road either. I built a canoe trailer out of a jet ski trailer specifically to drag down 4x4 trails that get us to the good spots. Trailers are tuff enough to pull into the bush. Worst case is you get against a tree or you can't turn around but it's light enough to un hook and reposition.

Latest posts