Outboard engine error codes (beeps)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
On another site, a guy was trying to find out what 4 beeps on his 50 hp Mercury meant. A lot of helpful people jumped in.

One guy, however, said that he could simply look up what those 4 beeps meant in his "owners manual".

I posted that, if I had the codes for my two engines, I would print them out and TAPE THEM ON THE COWLING.

Anyone know the error codes for a 50 hp Mercury 2 cycle 2009
and for a 50 hp Johnson 2 cycle 1996???

I know that I can buy the manuals, but, candidly, I know very little about engines and leave that to the professionals. Yet, when I am out running around someplace, and the engine starts beeping, perhaps knowing what the beeps mean might get me home without screwing up the engine(s). thanks richg99

p.s. I did a Google to no avail.

Don't think it's any "error code". I just think he has an oil-injected motor and the oil sensor is beeping at him. Boats go up and down and when the oil in the tank gets below 1/3 or 1/4, it moves enough forward and back to expose the sensor, thus the beeping. He needs to add oil to his tank, or better yet, ditch the oil tank altogether and cut the wire to the speaker and start pre-mixing gas and oil. Those oil-injected motors have one serious drawback; too many extra oil lines and connections that ultimately fail and cause oil leaks inside the cowling and then it drains into the splashwell and water.

I thought the codes were all the same but IDK. 4 beeps is low oil and or water separator sensor detecting water.

LOW OIL LEVEL: The low oil level warning is activate when the remaining oil in the mounted oil resevoir tank drops below 50 fl. oz.... WARNING HORN EMITS A SERIES OF FOUR BEEPS.

ENGINE OVERHEAT: HORN SOUNDS CONTINUOUSLY

ENGINE OVERSPEED: INTERMITTENT BEEP until engine speed drops below MAXIMUM RPM.

ELECTRICAL SENSOR NOT FUNCTIONING: If the TPS, MAP, or CTS is not functioning, or is out of it's "pre-programmed diagnostic range", the warning horn will sound INTERMITTENTLY.

WATER IN FUEL WARNING: SERIES OF FOUR BEEPS.

OMC 2-cycle

Steady Constant Beep = Overheating - The V-6 engines have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

Intermittant Beep, every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

Repeated Beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction ... anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine.

For your Merc I'd need to check my OEM service manual (covers 40 & 50hp) later.

Thanks, guys. I will print these out and TAPE THEM where I can see them. On the cowling and on the console.

I've never understood why things like these lists are hidden someplace. Are they afraid someone might hear the codes and do the right thing?????

regards, Rich

I use to laminate them to old work ID badge or such and it was clipped to the ignition keys.

"Cheap Yankee" lamination ... clear strapping/packing tape ...

Latest posts